Saturday, January 20, 2024

Couldn't Be Further From The Truth

One of my favorite classes at the gym is Saturday Morning Cycling. It starts at 8 AM (on the early-ish side) but that means that an hour later I can cross exercise off my list.

I've found that every Cycling instructor has a different musical sense. Some play pop hits, others like hard rock or thumping techno music. The Saturday instructor plays a nice mix of classic rock, some songs from the 1980s that I actually recognize, and a little newer country. All have a good beat which makes it easy to ride to.

Two weeks ago, one of the songs was Draggin the Line by Tommy James, which came out in 1971 just as I was taking a big interest in radio. I didn't realize until January of 2024 just how ingrained its lyrics were in my brain, because I found I could sing along to the complete song!


After the class was over I approached the instructor and mentioned how much smarter I could be if I could get rid of useless information in my brain like song lyrics. She gave me a funny look, but thanked me for coming.

Today, at the beginning of class the instructor made a general announcement about her music policy. She said that she just played what came up on her streaming service, and if anyone had a problem with any of the lyrics they could ignore them, concentrate on the song beat and talk to her after class. She looked straight at me when she said that, and I figured she had misunderstood what I was telling her.

I did talk to her, and my suspicions were correct; she thought I had been complaining about something in the song. This time when I repeated my (I guess) lame joke she got it and laughed.

Five years ago: This Is The Way The Cookie Crumbles

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like the misunderstanding was all on her side. I thought your comment was clear and innocuous. Maybe she's gotten complaints in the past and just assumed your comment was more of the same. But glad all is cleared up now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might be right. Whatever the reason I'm also glad it's cleared up.

      Delete
  2. Sadly that is how most disagreements start -

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I saw the Youtube picture my brain immediately went ... draggin the line draggin the line BWAAA tweet tweet.

    ReplyDelete