Sunday, January 14, 2024

A Serendipity Sighting

Starting yesterday, temperatures in our area dropped to some of the coldest we've had for a couple of years. The average high for today is 32°F; today the forecast calls for 3 degrees, with a wind chill advisory that will make the 'real feel' -15 degrees.

In weather like this walking outside is impossible, so after my cooking breakfast shift at the church I decided to go to the mall for steps. To get there I stayed on the highway one additional exit, and when I looked over to the right just past the usual exit ramp I saw a fascinating sight. Someone had adorned one of the scrub evergreen trees with Christmas decorations!

There was no way I could stop and get a photo, but I wondered if the internet would be able to supply something. When I got home I did a search for "decorated tree on highway 270 St Louis" and found two articles. Both were from 2021, but I would be amazed if the same person wasn't still actively doing the work.

Source (2021)
Five years ago: The Tell-Tale Stain

14 comments:

  1. You are colder than we are. Do you have snow or ice then?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last night we got less than an inch of powdery snow, but the winds were so strong it was blowing around and made driving visibility difficult.

      Delete
  2. That's pretty cool! There is a field near my house that someone has decorated a tree right in the middle of it for years. I look forward to seeing it every year! This year I actually went by as they were in the process of decorating it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where on 270? Nevermind, I found it online too. I don't think I've ever seen it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's about a third of the distance between Doughtery Ferry and Manchester. Keep an eye out for it if you're going that way.

      Delete
  4. Maybe they will decorate for Easter, too!! An egg tree?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Must have a long electric cable to switch on the lights. Did it have parcels underneath the tree?

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The article mentioned battery operated lights, but since I drove by in the day there was no way to verify that.

      Delete
  6. A little more cheer than the crosses that mark losing someone. But it might just be a Christmas lover.

    ReplyDelete