Thursday, January 25, 2024

A Mailbox Surprise

Earlier this week I got an unexpected check in the mail. Thinking it might be a scam, I did some research. It turns out the check was legitimate, and the result of a form I had filled out more than three years ago.

Back in 2018 "Batterygate" alleged that Apple deliberately slowed down the performance of older iPhones. A class action suit was filed, and the wheels of justice slowly started turning.

The Smartphone Performance Settlement website said:

If you are or were a U.S. owner of an iPhone 6, 6 Plus, 6s, 6s Plus, and/or SE device that ran iOS 10.2.1 or later before December 21, 2017, and/or a U.S. owner of an iPhone 7 or 7 Plus device that ran iOS 11.2 or later before December 21, 2017, you could be entitled to benefits under a class action settlement.

Apple did not admit liability or wrongdoing as part of the settlement, but it is paying somewhere between $310 million and $500 million in cash to claimants. Every other class action suit I've joined has yielded very little value. This time I got a little more than $92!

25 comments:

  1. I didn't turn in a claim, figuring I'd get nothing. Glad you got the surprise check.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Knowing that you're an Apple person I'm surprised you didn't.

      Delete
    2. Knowing the popularity of the iPhone, I just assumed 60 million people would be filing and we'd all get $1, not worth my time. Maybe so many of us thought that way that there was enough money to actually pay out some nice amounts like you got.

      Delete
    3. I think you're right about so many people not filing-and I think a substantial number didn't even know about the opportunity.

      Delete
  2. Enjoy your compensation! Buy yourself something fun with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm already figuring out how to spend the money!

      Delete
  3. I remember that issue as I had a iPhone 6. I hope I filed. Last year I received a $300 check from a class action lawsuit and at first I didn’t believe it either. I can’t remember what it was for. Usually I do file so hopefully I’ll get a check!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for you! I'm glad when some of these Corporations actually have to pay out Settlements for all they grifted from Consumers/Victims. Alas, most of the time they profited SOOO much more than they have to pay out and they factor that all in when they decide to do things like this. Three Hundred Ten to Five Hundred Million in Settlements probably means they made Billions, so, it's not really equitable punishment or a deterrent, but, it's better than nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't gotten anything from class action suits. Most of them aren't worth the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll take any type of payment, no matter how small :-)

      Delete
  6. That's nice. Braniff Airlines went bankrupt and my Mom and I were supposed to get ticket refunds. Nope. Didn't happen. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good for you Kathy! -Christine cmlk79.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good for you for filling out the form to begin with and so nice that you actually got a check (eventually) . Nice surprise!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm still waiting on that facebook settlement claim. Filled out the form maybe last summer or even longer ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It always surprises me how slow legal proceedings take, because on television they always wrap them up in an hour :-)

      Delete
  10. What? Heeey! I had that phone too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Didn't we all? Buy you had to have filled out the claim form back in 2020.

      Delete
  11. We are not asked to fill out forms; we just get a notification about the settlement, and how much I'll get. Usually, a very tiny sum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's interesting to read about differences in countries.

      Delete
  12. Spuds like Apple has genuinely nice nice hearted people in management Bravo for Apple and happy for you Kathy!

    ReplyDelete