Wednesday, October 18, 2023

Style, Comfort, Practicality, Or Price?

It was over a month ago I bought a formal dress for a wedding. The dress hung in my closet while I pondered what type of shoes I wanted to go with it. They had to be flat or extremely low heel, have padded insoles, and (ideally) have adjustable straps to accommodate my strange feet that straddle the line between normal and narrow width. 

And to top it off I preferred to not have to pay a bunch of money for them.

My first stop was a comfort shoe store. I explained what I was looking for to the associate and showed her a photo of the dress. She measured my feet and then sprung into action, bringing out a stack of five potentials. I fell in love with the first pair. They had just enough glitter to be fancy, fit like a glove, and I could easily walk in them. However, when I took a look at the price I found out they were almost $200! If they were a more practical color I could have gotten a lot of use out of them, but since I don't get invited to many formal events I was loathe to spend that much.

However, despite the price I went ahead and bought them. With my luck if I couldn't find anything else the store would be out of my size, and the store policy allowed for returns within 30 days.

I kept looking. One of the big box shoe stores had a 40 percent off sale. Most of their dress shoes weren't for me, but there was one style I liked. It was even blue like my dress! My size wasn't available in the store, so I pulled out my phone right there and ordered them from the website. With the discount these shoes were significantly cheaper, such that if I only wore them a couple of times I wouldn't feel like I was wasting my money.

The store website said it would take somewhere between four and seven days for the shoes to arrive. A week later I received an email the shoes were ready to be picked up. When I tried the sandals on I found out they were comfortable, but the straps over the top of my foot were a little loose.

The next day I stopped into a shoe repair store and explained the situation. The associate gave me two suggestions. The first was a set of adhesive half-sole inserts that would fit under the ball of my foot and hold it in place. The second was to have him tighten the straps. I went with the easy, quicker, and cheaper first option, and the next day I returned the first pair.

Five years ago: Time For Reading

12 comments:

  1. It was a real good soluciĆ³n, and finally you had a good pair of shoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. It feels good to have the shoes taken care of.

      Delete
  2. Shoe repair stores are getting few a far between. There is still one on Gravois near Lindbergh that I know of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The one I went to is in a strip mall on Manchester halfway in between 270 and 141. The owner looks to be about my age, so I'm guessing he is or will soon be thinking about retirement.

      Delete
  3. Glad this worked out! -Christine cmlk79.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I love shoes. And, I hate shopping. I would have just kept the first pair I found and stopped looking. But, that second pair is so gorgeous I don't blame you for buying them. I would have kept both pair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely will keep the first brand in mind. I got out my winter shoes and realized that some of them need to be retired.

      Delete
  5. The shoes are great ! I would never have thought to go to a shoemaker for a solution. I actually have a pair that are loose- maybe I'll seek one out!! Enjoy the wedding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The shoe repair has been a great resource in the past, so I figured it would be more helpful than standing in the aisle at Target trying to figure out what would work.

      Delete
  6. Used to buy clothes and shoes just for style, now I go for comfort and practicality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angie, thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. Like you, my wardrobe has changed over the years. Life is too short to be uncomfortable!

      Delete
  7. Shoes and bars are the worst. You did good.

    ReplyDelete