Monday, October 9, 2023

The Biggest Batches Of Food I've Ever Quarterbacked

You may remember that yesterday was our church's Sausage Supper, and Hubby Tony and I chaired the kitchen. Between Saturday's set up and the actual event, most of the weekend was devoted to the project.
I started my Sunday morning with a normal cooking shift for the clergy, then drove across town to join Tony for the day's main event. The the food line opened at 2:00, and the first kitchen workers were scheduled to start at 12:30. Because Tony had been told it would take two hours to heat a batch of green beans in the commercial cooking kettle, we arrived early enough to get the first one started. (His info was wrong; the heating time was closer to 30 minutes. Tony will put that in the notes for next year's event.)

I wrote out the recipes for green beans and sauerkraut Tony and I 'developed', then put one at each station along with the ingredients and necessary equipment. Once the first shift arrived it didn't take long for each station (kraut, beans, and dish washing) to get into a routine, and then each shift trained the next on the best practices. Tony had scheduled just the right amount of volunteers for each shift-everyone had enough work to do, but the work wasn't overwhelming enough that they didn't have time to chat. 

Over the course of the 5-hour meal we cooked 56 commercial-sized cans of green beans and 27 commercial-sized cans of sauerkraut. After the serving line closed there was approximately two cans of each left over. The kitchen clean up crew transferred the leftovers into disposable aluminum pans so they could be donated.

The event wasn't without hiccups. The serving line ran out of mashed potatoes and applesauce for short periods of time. Our kitchen wasn't responsible for either of them, other than Tony calling the person running back and forth between the restaurant to check on the status.

The day was long but enjoyable. The best part, though, had nothing to do with cooking. Someone told me she had recently been introduced to my blog via the promotional signature I attach to my emails. She said she enjoyed reading through the posts and thought I was a great writer. I'm pretty sure I was blushing as I thanked her profusely.

Five years ago: Famous In Their Field

15 comments:

  1. It is encouraging and refreshing when someone says something positive about our Writing and our Blogs. I know I enjoy many Blogs, including yours, it's way better than reading Books, becoz you get to know the Authors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lovely, to get a compliment like that, and how kind of her to go out of her way to be sure to tell you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the same thing--how lovely to seek you out and let you know that she read your blog. We all need people like that!

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a great but tiring day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was. By the time I got home my feet and back were done for.

      Delete
  4. Good work. That takes a lot of effort. I just don't have it in me these days.
    How nice to get a compliment! I am happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you could be on Gordon Ramsey's Master Chef. The contestants divide into two teams to put on big food productions like that, to see how they behave and cook under pressure. I bet you would do well. I'm impressed to hear you orchestrated all that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tony definitely did most of the pre-event planning, but we worked well as a team the day of.

      Delete
  6. It was good to read your post. There is always good in life. Thank you. I just came across your blog. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.

      Delete