Wednesday, October 11, 2023

Work-Around Solution

A couple of months ago I posted about issues leaving comments on Blogger blogs. The problem came on suddenly, and ended just as quickly. Since that time the annoyance has returned sporadically. It's very annoying when I can't comment with my profile, but I've come to accept the Name/URL option (and even the Anonymous option, which means I have to remember to identify myself within the comment). 

But then things got worse. Last week I experienced a big blue box that told me to Sign Into Google where there should have been a comment form. But clicking on that blue box did no good. I couldn't leave comments on a good percentage of the blogs I follow! 

Eventually I figured out that the issue was internet cookies, small files utilized by web browsers to track and save information about users. Cookies from Google domains (including Blogger) are now treated as third-party. Firefox, the browser I use, has a feature called Total Cookie Protection. It is designed to protect a user's privacy by eliminating third-party cookies. However, some websites or features on a web page may not work if you block third-party cookies. I guess that includes signing in to comment. 

Now that I've figured out the issue I'm happy to say I've found a work-around. If I come across a blog that won't let me leave a comment with my Blogger profile, the first step is to click on the shield to the left of the address bar: 


 That brings up a box with a toggle switch. 


 If I turn the tracking protection off all of a sudden my profile is available and I can comment. After I leave a comment I turn the tracking protection back on. And keep my internet actions a little more private. 

 Five years ago: Fall Foliage Map

16 comments:

  1. Good for you Kathy -Christine cmlk79.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use Chrome and have 3rd party cookies blocked. So far no problems but not guaranteed for tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe since both Chrome and Blogger are Google products they play nicely together.

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much for this. My techie guy has explained it to me and he agrees with you. You're a great help.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've had some crazy things happen with my blog also, and figured out different ways to cope. It's so annoying that you can't contact someone to help out. And there are a lot of folks who have followed my blog for years who now show up as anonymous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if other browsers could be manipulated in a similar way?

      Delete
  5. Cool idea! Nice idea to do comment and back to safety.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that someday things are back to 'normal' and I don't have to jump through any hoops. Until then I'll do what it takes.

      Delete
  6. My previous comment here has vanished. It appeared when I posted it; and then it went ... Is it in your Spam folder? Am I in your Spam folder? Do you have any Spam? Corned beef? Luncheon meat?

    Anyway, thanx for the advice above. I too have had similar Blogger problems.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Disappearing comments are a whole 'nother issue! Now you have me hungry.

      Delete
  7. Glad you figured out the commenting issues. It's a little over my head so on certain blogs, I continue to have issues. I don't even try on blogs that have
    "Sign Into Google"- no matter what I do , it doesn't work. - Judee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judee, if you have free time you might want to research if the browser you use has a similar way to work around the restrictions.

      Delete
  8. Wow, I would never ever have figured that out. Next time my computer goes on the blink, if I can, I'll post my troubles in comments on your blog, and maybe you'll know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I consider myself a casual computer user, but it's amazing what information you can find when you poke around on the internet.

      Delete
  9. OMG, I've had that problem on Firefox for months. I've had to use Name/URL on others' blogs, and have to respond to all comments on my blog using Google chrome. I'm so glad you figured this out, and am grateful you thought to post about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure Google will work on figuring out a way to thwart the system. Let's enjoy it while it lasts :-)

      Delete