Thursday, June 2, 2022

Time Well Spent

Today I had some things to do that took me to the cities of Washington and Union (both in Missouri). I asked Hubby Tony if he wanted to drive along with me. He said he would. Before we left I put him in charge of adventures.

On the way out the door I grabbed my purse, lunch, paperwork, and a list of errands to be run. There was a package that had to go out in the mail, so I brought it too. My local branch wasn't open yet, but I knew I would be driving by a post office while taking care of my other things. The person I was sending it to doesn't know the area and would have no idea how far away from home I was when it got mailed.

Both cities are west of St. Louis on Interstate 44. The Washington exit (Route 100) takes about a half hour to get to, and my first stop was an additional ten miles to the west. From there I drove south for another five minutes to get to Union. The entire drive was lovely, a combination of rolling hills and natural areas. Everything was green and lush thanks to the recent rain.

It took about an hour to do all the 'have tos', then I turned things over to Tony. He's always on the hunt for a new place to get coffee, and said that La Finca Coffee in Eureka (halfway back home) had great online reviews. We could have driven on the Interstate, but instead Tony had mapped out a Route 66 Byway route.

For the most part the route paralleled the highway. We drove through areas that looked downright rural, light industrial sections, and well developed neighborhoods. The middle section of the drive was familiar from our trip earlier in the year, but still fascinating.

The reviews were right; our coffee was very good. We walked around the small downtown Eureka area, then got back in the car and started towards home. I decided to stay off the highway, and went north on Route 109. When we saw the turn off for Rockwoods Reservation (a state park) I asked Tony if we wanted to stop and get some steps. We did.

I pulled into the parking lot by the first trailhead. The trail turned out to be longer than we wanted to walk, so we did a portion and turned around. The mature trees on either side made the area wonderfully shady. Off to the right was a steep hill. A small, shallow creek on the left gurgled as we walked along, and at one point we crossed the creek on large stepping stones.

After we were finished walking we got back in the car and continued towards home. Eventually we returned to Route 100, just substantially more to the east. At that point it's called Manchester Road, a major five-lane road. We continued east until we reached the road that would take us home. As we pulled into our subdivision I took a look at the odometer. It registered less than ten miles more than it would have if we had taken the direct Interstate route. I think those extra miles were time well spent.

Five years ago: Good Concept, Bad Execution

18 comments:

  1. We are learning new ways to get from point A to point B. Sometimes you end up with a delightful surprise! We took a different route to MN from our new home. Major hi-ways, but not all interstates. It was nice and we just showed up at two campgrounds with no reservations and found some really nice parks. It was a nice trip. We will be going back a different way in order to stop and see friends. Taking it slow is more fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's wonderful to have a flexible schedule and be able to take advantage of it.

      Delete
    2. I've always liked to take the road less taken. Terry loves the freeways, as does our daughter, but I enjoy meandering along backroads just to see where they take us and what we see. However, it seems we are always in such a hurry when traveling, so as to get to our destination, that we rarely do those round-about roads.

      Delete
    3. There are times I enjoy driving at highway speeds (especially when the road is empty and good music is playing on the radio). but I also enjoy seeing what there is to see off the Interstates.

      Delete
    4. That part--when the road is empty--made me laugh. You've been to California, you know our freeways are NEVER empty!

      Delete
  2. Today was a great day to be wandering around outside.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The combining of driving and walking usually makes for an interesting trip.You and you're hubby are a perfect team for such trips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've had more than four decades of practice.

      Delete
  4. The Eureka I know of is in northern California.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found out (via Wikipedia) that there are two dozen Eurekas in the US (and a couple of others that include the word in their name), three in Australia, four in Canada, and one in New Zealand.

      Delete
  5. A serene drive, a walk, good coffee, and chores done as well, sounds like a great way to spend a day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a lovely day. We just returned from a rather long trip and I'm recuperating from jet lag. We spent several hours on a train in Berlin with a very fun and interesting mom and daughter from St. Louis.

    ReplyDelete