Thursday, June 9, 2022

A Good Time On The Greenway

Today was forecast to be nice, with pleasant temperatures and low humidity.  Neither Hubby Tony or I had any big plans for the day, so we agreed it would be a great day for a bike ride.

I asked Tony to pick the location. He came up with three suggestions, all based around paved trails. Because we hadn't biked in the area before I chose the Dardenne Greenway in St. Charles County, about a 20 minute ride from the house.  In my experience, most greenways are relatively flat, but I was ready for anything. Both Tony and I now have retrofitted electric bikes; it's nice having an extra assist up slopes and hills.

Tony's map app suggested a trailhead  that was tucked in the back of a subdivision and next to a small lake. We parked the car and got ready to ride. According to the greenway website, the trail "winds along Dardenne Creek in St. Charles County, and links together hundreds of acres of parks as well as neighborhoods, communities, businesses and schools". 

We followed the main trail, but veered off a couple of times.  The trail signage could have been improved; a couple of times we made a wrong turn and ended up in a subdivision, but it was easy enough to turn around and double back. Although the sun was hot, much of the trail was covered by trees, and the sections that paralleled the creek were particularly delightful.

At one point we stopped and had a discussion about electric bikes with two other riders. Later, we rode through a section of prairie redevelopment. A box turtle sunning in the middle of the trail withdrew into its shell when we got close, but later on a large racoon scampered into the bushes at the side of the trail. A goose family-Mother, Father, and seven goslings ignored us as they swam up the creek.

As we reached the turn-around point of the trail I was having a great time. There was an incline that led to a subdivision. Tony was riding ahead of me, so he didn't see what happened....

(To be continued....)

14 comments:

  1. I think I"d enjoy an electric bike. I don't even have a regular bike though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to use the assist as little as possible (otherwise I figure I'm not getting the exercise benefit) but it sure nice to have.

      Delete
  2. oh no! "to be continued" Just like those 2-hour Lassie episodes! I hope you didn't fall or get attacked by the racoon! Suspense! Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I hadn't thought about Lassie for a long time.

      Delete
  3. Did a lithium battery explode? That would be exciting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll just have to keep logging in to find out :-)

      Delete
  4. Hello Kathy...
    Just passing..l saw the link that Victor left you regarding his
    book..'I Quote Myself'..I have left a comment on your
    comment, just in case yo should miss it..That link will not
    take you to the purchase of the said book..
    But..this will...

    https://www.amazon.com/As-Quote-Myself-Victor-Moubarak/dp/1516978250

    The same thing happened when l wanted to purchase that book....
    But..! I found a different link..You buy the book..it's very funny...! :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Willie. You are a treasure.

      Kathy, I laughed so much whilst writing this book that I nearly fell off my chair. I wrote it slowly so that it lasts longer.

      God bless you.

      Delete
    2. Willie, thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. I always enjoy your thoughts on Victor's blog.

      Delete
  5. Did I comment here before? Or did I imagine it? I remember seeing those ducks before.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete