Monday, June 20, 2022

Does It Fit?

Last year my favorite pairs of shorts started looking a little worn. I never replaced them, and as you might imagine they're looking even worse this year. And then last week I found a hole in my second-favorite pair. Time to buy some new shorts!

I did some window shopping at the mall and had sticker shock. Prices have really gone up for quality pieces, most of which were so fashionable that they would look out of date long before they wore out.

I turned to the thrift stores. It didn't take me long to discover that all the Goodwills in my area have removed dressing rooms from their stores. They loosened the return policy, but it's a pain to bring home something that doesn't fit and have to make another trip to take it back. Probably as a result of Goodwill's action, the other thrift stores I shopped in had low inventory.

Today after a trip to the gym I was completing things on my To-Do list across town when I saw a sign for a Goodwill store. Being ever hopeful I decided to stop in and see what they had. There were four racks of shorts in my size. It was easy to find the ones that met my length needs; there weren't many of them, and their hems hung lower on the rack than the others. In the end there were three potential pairs.

At that point it occurred to me that I was wearing form-fitting gym shorts, and could probably slide the potentials on to give them a fit test. I went over to a quiet section of the store and did just that. As I was removing the second pair a woman walked by, and we commiserated about the issuess of finding clothes in the store.

Five years ago today: Virtual Crayons

23 comments:

  1. Yes, prices are up, quality down. Enjoy your newly bought shorts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite place to shop. I found a brand new swim suit bottom with tags and the panty liner attached. Justw hat I needed for a swim suit top I found at another store. Goodwill stores are ridiculous with their prices lately. though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Win win at the thrift stores! Good for the environment too -christine at https//:cmlk79.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate shopping but going to stores where you can't try things on is really difficult. I've done the thing of taking a blanket then trying them on in the car. That way I can return immediately if they don't fit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea, I hope you ended up getting them all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I felt super fortunate at Target this morning. I had added a 15% off of clearance women's clothing to my Cartwheel and found a pair of pajamas on a rack. I couldn't figure out if they were on clearance or not, but I liked what I saw (I never try things on at Target, I just eyeball it) so threw it in my cart. Although tagged at $25, they were indeed on clearance at $15 and then I got an additional 15% off. I felt pretty good about that purchase. Of course, we won't discuss the total of my bill since the PJs were a minor piece of the shopping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A friend of mine just posted a meme on Facebook that said " I saved $238.19 by not going to Target for deodorant".

      Delete
  7. So where's the picture of you wearing the new shorts?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've noticed very low Inventory at all of the Chazzas and especially the Goodwill Stores, they closed all the Dressing Rooms at all of them. Now that people aren't even Masking, and the vast majority of the population has been vaxxed and probably boosted too, I don't see the Point in keeping the Dressing Rooms Closed? Prices have soared tho', even in the Chazzas, some of the Pants my Granddaughter has picked out have been rather spendy for secondhand Clothes, but full Retail prices are outrageous... I'm glad she's into buying her Wardrobe gently used.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to buy clothes at thrift stores whenever possible-both for environmental and financial reasons. Even though the prices have gone up with some searching I can get good-quality items for a quarter of what I would have paid at the mall.

      Delete
  9. Yes, prices are going up. It said on the shop window, "Shirts - 50% off". When I went in I discovered they had cut the sleeves off.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad you were able to find shorts you like. The past few years I have been buying inexpensive jeans and cutting them into shorts. Being vertically challenged the length of shorts don't ever seem to work for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought about starting with jeans!

      Delete
  11. I love the thrift store Value Village (Akasha)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like Value Village too, but there's not a location that's particularly convenient for me.

      Delete
  12. I bought a pair of shorts from a charity shop, got them home and they were too tight. Ended up buying two new pairs yesterday. They will last me for years now.

    ReplyDelete