Wednesday, June 8, 2022

Inaccurate Enrollment

I received an email the other day that started by greeting me with the word "Bonjour". I couldn't make out any of the rest, so I used Google Translate to figure out what the message said. It turns out that someone who wasn't me signed up for some classes.

 Hello (XXXXXXX). 

Thank you for completing our 2021-2022 registration form. 

Contact information: 
- Name: (XXXXXXX)
- Email address: (XXXXXXX)
- Area code: (XXXXXXX)
- Phone: (XXXXXXX)
- Portable: (XXXXXXX)

Status: 0 

Civilization course registrations: 

- ▌C1 LLN-Literature: 0 
- ▌C2 LLN-Funeral books: 0 
- ▌C3 LLN-To be specified (Marie-Cécile Bruwier course): 0 
- ▌C4 LLN-Secrets of Egyptian History: 0 
- ▌C5 ARL-Conferences: 0 
- ▌C6 ARL-Funeral books: 0 
- ▌► Total "Course of civilization" (calculated automatically): bn0kh6 

Inscriptions course of hieroglyphs: 

- ▌H1 LLN-Egyptian texts: 0 
- ▌H2 ARL-Hieros 3:0 
- ▌H3 ARL-Egyptian texts: 0 
- ▌Coptic (organized remotely): 0 
- ▌► Total "Hieroglyphics course" (automatically calculated): pdt9ixw3 

Total amount:  (XXXXXXX)

Best regards, 
the team of the a.s.b.l. Kheper.
 My curiosity was piqued, so I did a Google search for 'a.s.b.l. Kheper'. It looked like a legitimate organization; according to their Facebook page, they offer courses and conferences on Egypt, guided tours of museums and exhibitions, and trips.
 
Next I Googled the company name and the word Scam.  Nothing came up, so I think the whole thing was legitimate. The registrant must have mis-typed their email address. I hope for their sake things get figured out soon.

11 comments:

  1. Always better to ignore these I think

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Which is exactly what I did...after using it for blog content :-)

      Delete
  2. I agree... ignore unless you're charged for the classes... but save the email "just in case"!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're right. This does look like a legitimate organization. I would be sitting on the fence about contacting the school to let them know about their mistake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the end I decided to put the contacting on the person who signed up. At some point they'll wonder why they didn't get the information.

      Delete
  4. I'd save the E-Mail and see what happens. If the person who signed up doesn't receive contact I'm sure they'll call the School and get the info corrected. If you get charged for Classes you didn't take, then I'd follow up further. I once got charged by Amazon Prime for a Monthly Fee and I don't use Amazon and never signed up, they gave me a refund, nobody in our Family had ever ordered from them so we have no idea who used our information so that they could charge us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's scary that things like that can happen.

      Delete
  5. I received an email yesterday, a very chatty one obviously to a friend about some sheets of music and family news. I don't know whether to contact the writer and say it's not me or whether it's some devious sort of scam!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it would be a lovely gesture to let the writer know about the mistake.

      Delete
  6. I'm sure whoever the person was who was supposed to get this email will contact the sender. I would probably ignore it too.

    ReplyDelete