Sunday, June 12, 2022

All It Took Was New Signage

 I was at a meeting yesterday that took place in the fellowship hall of a church. According to the cornerstone, the building was built in 1959. 

The fellowship hall was in the lower level. The large room was clean and neat, but definitely showed signs of its age. If the linoleum tile wasn't original, its color pattern indicated it had been installed a long time ago. The simple, blond baseboards and doors were of the same vintage.

In the back of the room next to the kitchen there were two single-stall bathrooms. Given the age of the building I'm confident they would have been designed for Men and Women. However, without changing anything inside the rooms the church was able to update them for current sensibilities. Each person in the line for the toilet could choose from:

.......or......

Even though if all else was equal I would have chosen the room without the urinal, either worked for me. If you've ever stood in a long line for a single-sex bathroom while the other one had no use I think you would too.

Five years ago: A Six-Tea Day

12 comments:

  1. Interesting signage and yes whatever is quicker

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did the last guy that went into the first one lift up the seat... or not? If the seat was up, you know he did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Effective signage. One does what one must do when nature calls. I have used the men's room in a pinch. Once I accidentally walked into a men's room and scared myself and the Asian man with his back to me, using the urinal.

      Delete
    2. I wonder who was more embarrassed, you or the man?

      Delete
  3. That is a great move into the new era!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Probably necessary and definitely convenient when the stalls are limited!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always use the restroom that is open if they are single toilet. Standing there, waiting while a toilet is available is just crazy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, but it's surprising how many people feel differently.

      Delete
  6. Thank you so much for sharing this information. It’s very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, how options would have come in handy back in my night clubbing days when the line for the ladies' room was always long, and the mens' room? Not so much.

    ReplyDelete