Tuesday, March 1, 2022

Semi-Extravagant

You may know that today is Fat Tuesday (Mardi Gras in French) a day of self-indulgence and the last big hoo-hah before Lent begins tomorrow on Ash Wednesday. However, for the past few weeks I've made quite a few poor food choices and over the past weekend my digestive system cried uncle. Today I tried to mix my decadence with some common sense.

I started off with a hearty breakfast, then followed that up with a healthy lunch. Mid-afternoon I was on the road and hungry. When I drove by a Popeyes Louisiana Kitchen restaurant I thought spicy chicken sounded good. However, I found out I couldn't buy just a piece of chicken, and I didn't want a whole meal. I settled for a bowl of red beans and rice. Even though the red beans were pureed and more like refried the dish hit the spot.

For dinner I made some smashed white bean salad and served it with good wheat bread. Earlier in the day when I stopped in the grocery store to get a stalk of celery a bag of New Orleans style potato chips jumped into my bag. I don't know who suggests the serving size for snack foods, but I ate way more with my meal than what the back of the bag told me I should.

In the afternoon Hubby Tony and I walked to a local bakery to get some dessert. They were sold out of king cakes, Mardi Gras cookies, and paczki (Polish donuts), so I chose their variation of a fudgie. Tony got a flat cinnamon apple strudel. After dinner Tony plated both, then cut them in half so we could each sample.

And because one dessert didn't feel like enough, after my sweets were gone I followed them up with a big handful of frozen blueberries. Their frostiness tricked my mind into thinking I was having ice cream, and my stomach thanked me for doing without the extra fat and sugar.

Five years ago today: A Jeans Challenge Met

11 comments:

  1. "red beans and rice" Now there's a treat that will tear my insides inside out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then we would make a great pair at Popeyes. Get a meal-you eat most of the chicken and I would eat the sides.

      Delete
  2. Never heard of Voodoo chips and now I want to try them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a new brand to me, too. They had several flavors, but the Voodoo had a nice kick with a sweet undertone.

      Delete
  3. So sorry you couldn't have paczki. Though you have to be mighty early at the bakeries around here to find it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Other than at the grocery stores (and I wonder about the quality) paczki is hard to find around here too.

      Delete
  4. How did you eat all that, I can't imagine. The fudgie looks good, really good.

    ReplyDelete