Sunday, March 27, 2022

Prayer for Ukraine

Yesterday was sunny but brisk; a perfect day to be outside. Hubby Tony and I decided to go to the Botanical Garden and see what was blooming. They're constructing a new visitor's center and have half of the parking lot blocked off. Instead of going to the auxiliary lot and getting on a shuttle bus, we went the opposite direction. Tony parked close to St. Margaret of Scotland church, where we had decided to go to Mass. We walked to the garden, through the garden, and back, which made my step counter proud.

Mass began in a normal fashion, but after the petitions the priest invited everyone to sit down. As a group we recited the prayer that Pope Francis used on March 25th when he consecrated Russia and Ukraine to the Immaculate Heart of Mary. The congregation followed the prayer up with the singing of "God the Great One! Prayer for Ukraine" (sometimes referred to as the Ukrainian National Spiritual Anthem).

The cantor did a beautiful job of leading the singing. I was unfamiliar with the song and stumbled over the words. My version in English was a poor substitute for the one the Ukrainian Chorus Dumka of New York performed on the Cold Open of Saturday Night Live on February 26th.

 Five years ago: Around The World In Six Blocks

19 comments:

  1. Did you walk up Flora to get to the Garden? If you did you walked past my old house near Flora and Thurman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We walked on Flad to get to the garden. On the way back we took Shaw to Thurman, and for variety went out of the way to go down Cleveland, then doubled back.

      I like the entire neighborhood.

      Delete
  2. I am still attending Sunday mass on youtube. They were asking for donations for Ukraine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many organizations asking for donations, but I only trust a few. The Church is one of them.

      Delete
  3. That is a beautiful video, I like the embroidered tops of the women. The mass you attended sounds lovely, and I too give money to Christian relief organizations. My church brought a mom and her children from the Ukraine to our city for refuge til the war ends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like how everyone is doine a little bit to ease the situation.

      Delete
  4. We sent a donation for Ukraine to Direct Relief.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not religious but their singing is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sad for all the misplaced families. It is hard, as Americans to imagine. Prayers going up daily!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine what all those people are going through.

      Delete
  7. I envy your visit to the botanical garden and the beauty of mass that you were able to attend. Blessings to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have so much compassion for Ukraine, and hope every day for the killing and destruction to end.

    ReplyDelete