Wednesday, March 1, 2017

A Jeans Challenge Met

Last week I noticed my favorite pair of jeans were getting raggedy at the bottom.  I could have put up with the frayed hems until the weather warmed up and it turned into shorts weather, but I also noticed that those jeans were also getting a little baggy!  Time to get some new ones.

It's been quite a while since I've had to deal with baggy clothes.  Several years ago my weight had inched up such that I was almost to the plus sizes, and I realized I had to do something.  Since then I've dropped down about a size a year until I reached my current size.  I'd been maintaining it for a while and was happy, but since last fall I've been more committed to a healthy eating plan.  I guess it's made a difference.

However, I've found that when I'm on the cusp of a new size it's hard to find something that fits just right.  I still have a middle-aged woman midsection, and skinny jeans don't look good on me.  My favorite style is boot cut, and the pants get bonus points if the rise is nice and high.  Because it won't be too long before the temperature heats up (and who knows what size I'll be at the end of the summer), I didn't want to spend a lot of money. I decided to visit several thrift stores around my house and see if I could find something that fit. 

Based on past experience I suspect the majority of items on thrift store racks are there because fashion has moved on. That means that this time I had to wade through a lot of low rises, distressed legs, and heavily-embellished back pockets.

The first store I went to didn't have anything in the new size, but I found a nice pair in my current size which I bought as a back up plan.  I came up empty handed at the next two, but at the fourth store I stumbled upon a pair that would work.  The rise was a little lower than perfect, but I went ahead and bought them.  I always wear my shirts long and hanging out anyway.

Five years ago today:  Never A Dull Moment

6 comments:

  1. Good for you dropping sizes I refuse to weigh as I fear I am gaining. Great that you found 'new' jeans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't weigh myself often. Instead I go by what my clothes feel like, then step on the scale to verify.

      Delete
  2. As I'm dropping I'm having good luck at TJ Maxx. (I did such a happy dance when I finally could fit into a pair of 'skinny jeans'. Not really so skinny... but not baggy when new).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meant to tell you a couple of posts back that you're looking healthy and wonderful.

      Delete
  3. Shopping for jeans is pure torture for me. I buy them in pairs or triplets every few years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I could find something that really fit I'd do the same. The best in the past few years is actually the pair I'm replacing, which came from a fancy mall store via Goodwill. I'm not willing to pay retail price for them, though.

      Delete