Tuesday, March 22, 2022

Age Is Just A Number

I recently learned that today was As Young As You Feel Day. Did you know that the average American starts feeling old at the age of 47? I have my fair share of aches and pains, but I try not to let them get in the way of living. No matter what your chronological age, if you feel young the number of candles on your last birthday cake doesn't matter.

With the holiday in mind all day I tried to think and act young. When I left the house in the morning, instead of my comfortable baggy jeans I wore a pair of slim, bright purple ones and one of my newer shirt with a large floral print.

I drove Hubby Tony to an appointment, and then walked around the area while I waited for him to be done. When my rambling took me next to a flat-topped curb I decided to see if I could walk and balance on top of it. It did not go well, but I was glad I tried. 

Back at home, I got ready for a noontime commitment. The last thing I did before leaving the house was call the person I was going to meet with and found out that she had become unavailable. I looked outside, saw that it was raining, and decided to be thankful instead of angry. (I would have gotten wet walking from the parking lot to that commitment. No outside walking meant that I would stay dry.)

Several hours later Tony suggested we get out of the house. It was supposed to be raining off and on all day, so I looked at my phone app and discovered there was a 50 percent chance of precipitation. However, that also meant a 50 percent change of no precipitation. We put our jackets on and had a wonderful walk.

Five years ago today: Global Goof Off

22 comments:

  1. I'm always glad when it's raining. Or even if it's not. I can answer the question, "Why aren't you outside?" "Because it's raining here".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy being out in nature. Especially when it's not too wet, cold, or hot.

      Delete
  2. 50/50 chance of rain, you made a good call to take a walk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's the number of candles on our birthday cakes that contribute to global warming.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just turned 65 in January. I try to stay as active as possible and have as much energy as I can. It seems to get a little tougher as the years go by but I won't ever give up! That is such a pretty outfit you are wearing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm finding that it's getting harder to stay active too!

      (And thank you for your compliment on the clothes. I don't usually 'dress up' and it felt good to do it.)

      Delete
  5. 47?? That is young! I felt great when I was 47, well, except for hot flashes. I could still work rings around the 20 year olds I employed! I was 50 when we bought the campground and had energy to spare. I didn't really feel a "slow-down" until I had my mild heart attack and I think that was due to the beta-blocker they prescribed. I ain't going down without a fight!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You look in good shape from that photo. I feel my age mainly when I go to the doctor and they kind of remind me in insiduous demeaning ways. I don't like going to the doctor. Anyhow, good for you staying young.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to stay in good shape, but in this case I think the angle of my cell phone may have had something to do with the look :-)

      I find myself waking up with more and more aches, and they don't disappear as fast as they used to.

      Delete
  7. Cute outfit and good atttitude, a winning combination. Exercise the body. mind and soul as much as possible, that's what I TRY to do.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A pair of skinny fit jeans always lifts the spirits. I don't feel old until I look in the mirror.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The 40s are super years. I probably did more in my 40s than at any other time. Lots of energy and strength. The 50s and 60s were good decades, too. I am glad I retired at 57 which gave me lots of energy for the tiny grandchildren. Now as I approach 70 I am hopeful to still keep going and doing but the energy is not what it used to be. I'm done by 4 p.m. When I brought this up with my doctor, she asked all kinds of questions about what i could do like walking and climbing stairs, of which I have problems or slow down. I just get tired by the end of the day. She said that's my age. So, there you are. Age can make the difference!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People are living so much longer than they used to, and I don't know that our bodies are designed for it.

      Delete
  10. My husband depends on his weather app and it's right 50% of the time. Hawaii is like that. We have micro climates.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm all sorts of ages all day long!!

    ReplyDelete