Monday, January 10, 2022

Bittersweet Goodness

Did you know that today was National Bittersweet Chocolate Day

Every type of chocolate starts with beans from a cacao tree. They're harvested, fermented, and dried, and roasted. Then the roasted skin is removed, the beans are cracked into nibs, and the skin is winnowed away. The nibs are ground, then conched (heated and stirred with the additional ingredients), tempered (cooled), and molded.

I've never met a chocolate I didn't like, but I adore the dark and bittersweet types. Neither contain milk or milk solids. Both have a high percentage of cacao, but bittersweet (as you might suspect) has a bit less sugar than dark.

Coincidentally, yesterday I had received some truffles from a local chocolate shop. After dinner was cleaned up, in honor of Bittersweet Chocolate Day I treated myself to an Italian Espresso Truffle. The dark, chocolately, bittersweet flavor was just what my taste buds were looking for

 
Five years ago: Registration Completion

12 comments:

  1. Good to stop at one truffle! The day was well celebrated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fortunate that I had the celebration materials on hand :-)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Yeah, I surprised myself by actually using some will power.

      Delete
  3. Even though I’ve lost a lot of my sense of taste, I STILL love dark chocolate!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have invented garlic flavoured chocolate.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the info on the history of chocolate.
    There's hardly anyone who doesn't like chocolate. Luckily, I seem to be craving it less ans less.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could say that my cravings were lessening.

      Delete
  6. I love dark chocolate and treat myself to a square or two of Dive individually wrapped dark chocolate. I read somewhere, an overseas orphanage gives the children a square of dark chcolate at breakfast as it acts as a mood enhancer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chocolate for breakfast would make ME happy!

      Delete