Thursday, August 19, 2021

The Hunt For Pastries

Last week Hubby Tony and I started the chapter in our scavenger hunt book for Kirkwood. Most of the things we had to find were convenient to the city's downtown area, but we're finding that each chapter has a couple of outlier locations. This time one of them was the Nathaniel Reid bakery, which has won a bunch of prestigious local and national awards. The bakery is in a strip mall on Manchester Road just a couple of miles from our house. I've driven past it hundreds of times, but never been inside. Tony and I decided we were going to combine a trip to check the bakery off of the list with a trip inside for a sweet treat. 

Manchester is a busy arterial road, and I think I missed every stop light. In the bakery there were several people ahead of us in line, but that gave me a chance to check out all the delectable-looking things behind the counter. I kept changing my mind until it was my turn to order. After we paid for our things we drove to a nearby park, found a bench in the shade, and dug in.

My Veronique pastry was a delightful combination of sponge cake, creamy cheese, mousse, and black currants. It was beautifully composed, and probably photo worthy, but I was hungry and dug in. Tony's chocolate croissant had layers of flaky dough and chocolate, with slivered almonds sprinkled on top. It didn't take long until there was nothing but crumbs left.

Five years ago today: Color Coding

19 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. They were. I guess there's a reason they've won so many awards.

      Delete
  2. You could walk there couldn't you? Then it would be a calorie negative event.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We could, but not at noon on a 90 degree day :-)

      Delete
  3. Nothing like the aroma from a bakery ... wonderful.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just reading about the pastries, made my mouth watering.
    I wish Mike was right about walking, but in my experience. it doesn't help get rid of the calories. Only adequate nutrition (diet) helps me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to eat right and exercise (walk, mostly) every day. The combination seems to work for me.

      Delete
  5. I will have to check this bakery out. I am always up for a sweet treat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy... I'm envious my toast and jam breakfast just doesn't compare!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a return visit may be in order.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's probably not a good thing this place is on my radar now.

      Delete
  8. That was worth the hunt, though it really wasn't a hunt, just an overdue stop.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great way to end the hunt!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Adoro los pasteles en especial el de chocolate. Te mando un beso
    Enamorada de las letras

    ReplyDelete