Sunday, August 1, 2021

Directory Of Businesses

The last time you needed to look up a business's information what source did you use? If you said the internet we're of like mind. A couple of weeks ago a pile of what looked like magazines showed up on the condo building foyer table. However, when I took a closer look I saw that they were Yellow Pages.

I didn't even know they still existed.

There are eight units in the building, and eight slim directories were piled in a neat stack. I did the polite thing and took one upstairs, walked back to my office, and deposited it straight into the recycling container. Someone else in the building took another one. The rest of the books remained on the table gathering dust. 

Yesterday I noticed that the person who takes it upon herself to decorate the table had changed the decor. The books were gone. Probably not a coincidence.

7 comments:

  1. I actually keep the new one and throw out the old one. For old times sake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I used to do back when they were three inches thick.

      Delete
  2. I remember yellow pages we sure don’t see them anymore here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. In 2002, I looked for a job using the yellow pages. I cold called all the daycares to ask if they were hiring. I ended up working at one called Avalon. Didn’t even make it to the B’s. I swore by that method. I wonder how well it would work today. Probably just as well. They’d probably just tell me to apply online when I call though!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think more things are done electronically than on paper now.

      Delete
  4. I'm not sure whether we still have them. They seem increasingly pointless now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just this past year I got a yellow pages delivered to our door. It was less than a inch thick and I put it right into the recycle bin. No need for them anymore! I look everything up on the internet now.

    ReplyDelete