Tuesday, February 23, 2021

Unfolded

I have two categories of jeans...ones that leave the house and ones that don't. All of them are comfortable, but the house jeans are older (they used to be in the going out category) and extra soft. Since they're old I don't have to care if I spill anything while I'm cooking, and if I forget and wipe my hands on them I don't have to feel bad.

The hem of those house jeans was driving me crazy by curling up about an eighth of an inch above the stitching.

Quite unattractive looking, don't you think?

In an effort to fix the issue I tried wetting the area and putting a heavy book on it, wetting and hanging a heavy object to the bottom to straighten it, and ironing. Nothing worked for more than ten minutes after I put the jeans on. 

I turned to the internet for answers. Suggestions, in addition to the ones I already tried. included reinforcing the hem or using a flat iron. (I discarded both. I wasn't going to add yet another layer of material at the bottom of the pants and I don't own a flat iron.) One interesting idea was to turn the jeans inside-out before putting them in the dryer. I was skeptical that something so simple could be effective. Guess what? It worked!

Success!
Now I'll just have to remember to turn them every laundry day.

Five years ago: Can Do

11 comments:

  1. That's a face palm solution. Like, why didn't I think of that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another solution for the jeans is to sew on lead weights on the bottom hem. It slows me down a little but a good reminder not to leave the house wearing them.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And there would be an additional bit of exercise as you drug those weights around :-)

      Delete
  3. Oh my gosh! I'm going to start doing this with hubby's jeans. Every day's a school day. 🙃

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it works for you as well as it did for me.

      Delete
  4. What a great solution. I have some jeans that do the same thing. I'll try your solution.

    ReplyDelete