Wednesday, February 17, 2021

No Smudge

In all of my years of going to Mass on Ash Wednesday, the ashes have always been distributed the same way. After the homily people process up to the altar in a Communion-style line to have a cross marked on their forehead, along with hearing the words "Repent, and believe in the Gospel". I figured that everyone had the same experience.

I was wrong. Evidently in other parts of the world the priest gives a general exhortation, then people come up to have the ashes sprinkled on the crown of their head. Per the recommendations of the Vatican, that's how I received them today.

The new method eliminated skin-to-skin contact, and therefore there was less chance of spreading Covid. It made sense, but I can't say that I was a fan. The rite is completely optional, but the ashes are a sign of penitence, and  each time I see the cross on my forehead during the day it reminds me of it's importance. 

This year the only reminder I had was my growling stomach, which kept reminding me I was fasting.

8 comments:

  1. It is a beautiful sign on the forehead, I agree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blessings to you. The times have certainly changed our rituals and lives. Hope this snow goes soo. 50 degrees on tuesday. That I can live with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew it was supposed to heat up, but had NO idea it would be that much! I can't wait for the snow to melt so I can start walking outside again.

      Delete
  3. Get the sharpie out and make your own cross. Make a fancy one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In the UK too, ashes (this year) are sprinkled on the head.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete