Friday, February 19, 2021

Just Me

It was almost a year ago (March 16th, 2020, to be exact) that Hubby Tony started working from home. At first it was strange to have another body around during business hours, but I eventually got used to it. Today, for the first time in eleven months Tony put on business casual clothes, packed his lunch, and left for the office to meet with the coworker who will be picking up one his projects after he retires.

I was eating breakfast when Tony said goodbye and left. It took him two trips to carry several large work bags (stuffed with project papers, his computer, and peripherals), and the work computer monitor out to the car. I heard him lock the condo door as he left. I felt like I could do whatever I wanted!

Since Tony has worked from home we pretty much do our own thing during the day, but I always know he's around. The design of the condo is such that his office is visible from both the living room and the hall to the bedrooms. Normally I can see Tony at work every time I pass by. Today the room was dark and silent. Instead of walking down the hall to speak to each other, we had to text back and forth like in the old days.

I had the run of the whole house. There was a Zoom meeting to attend at 9:30. Instead of setting up my laptop in the back bedroom and closing the door for privacy like I do every other week, I placed it on the dining room table. Just because I could. After the meeting was over I left to run some errands, and didn't have to explain where I was going or what I was doing. (Other than to the cat, who just said to make sure I would be back to feed him mid-afternoon).

When I got back from errands I still had hours before Tony would return. I tried to walk in the neighborhood (but discovered that many of the sidewalks were still in rough shape). I came home and got caught up on emails, played some computer mahjong, straightened the kitchen, fed the cat, had my afternoon crossword puzzle time, caught up on all the posts in my feedreader, and had time to play some more mahjong before I heard the front door open.  My solo time was over.

22 comments:

  1. You need to go to his office and walk by his desk, say something, then leave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea, but I believe that now they don't let anyone other than employees into the building.

      Delete
  2. A new routine for both of you.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I live for alone time. Cliff hasn't been doing much since the asthma got so bad, so I took over a small bedroom for a she-room. If we're both in the same room and one of us is reading a book, the other forgets and starts talking. I'm as bad as he is about that. When I go to my she-room I can write in my blog or read without distraction. He likes to listen to music videos. They distract me from concentrating. When I'm in the she-room with the door shut, no problem. Thank goodness the pulmonologist got him on steroids. He's a different man today: thankful, happy, and eager to start getting active again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like you've figured out what works for you. Good! Not everyone can.

      Delete
  4. Silence is golden at times. When we travek i take a book to read. We can travel in companionable silence...until I open my book. Then he wants to discuss every single thing. Don;t think it is intentional though. But irritating nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had more alone time at the office than at home! There could be any combination of kids and cats vying for my attention. I get it, about moving your workspace. I had four spots I'd use, and each one felt fresh and new when I moved there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. That's too funny that your office was more relaxing than home.

      Delete
  6. Mahjong I a wonderful side benefit to a computer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is. I found a new app that has a 'relaxation' (aka untimed) mode that I really like.

      Delete
  7. Hmmm... Now you've got me thinking. It's true. Even though we're both retired, we each had time away from each other before the pandemic. Now we're together all the time. Happily, it's been fine. I wonder what it will be like when we return to normal. Hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  8. i was happy to have hubby home ,kids and hubby both ,yes it is weird and reason for this is too uncomfortable but still that rough situation helped to add some beautiful days in my life as a house wife and mom ,i enjoyed them

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember my mom talking about her friends whose hubbies had retired. back in the day they had to provide lunch, etc. My mom worked until she was 66, so it didn't apply to her. I find it hard with my hubby around all the time. I like my alone time, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When the weather warms up I'll be able to 'escape' to the deck.

      Delete
  10. My partner has been working from home for the last year and there is no sign of that changing for a while. My older daughter was away at uni and is also working from home. As much as I love them both, I can't wait for some time alone!

    ReplyDelete
  11. "like the old days" love that line in your post. It's nice to have alone time. I don't even know what mahjong is or where to find it online but I'll look now, being home bound with a back issue. Sounds fun.

    ReplyDelete