Tuesday, February 16, 2021

Flexible Fat Tuesday

Even though there have been no live Mardi Gras events this year, Hubby Tony and I still did our best to celebrate the season. In honor of Fat Tuesday, tonight's dinner was going to be a big, rich, fat-filled, caloric blowout before the start of Lent tomorrow. When I was grocery shopping today I bought a pre-made flatbread and a Caesar salad kit. A stop at a bakery yielded two large cookies for dessert.

Right after I got home and had the food put away I was offered the opportunity to go to a nearby hamburger restaurant for dinner. I asked Tony, who thought about it for at least two seconds before he agreed we should change our plans. After Tony finished work we went to the mall and walked, then drove across the street to the restaurant. It was dark, and there was a sign on the door that they were closed because of the snowy weather that came through late yesterday. 

Good thing we could be flexible.

Back at home I preheated the oven while Tony tossed the salad. We ate it while the flatbread was baking, then moved on to the main dish when it was finished. After dinner Tony made decaf coffee to go with the cookies. When they were gone I brought out two bars of good dark chocolate that were in the pantry. We finished them off, too.

After the food frenzy my stomach was completely full. As it should be the night before the Ash Wednesday fast.

Five years ago today: A Bag Of Bottles

14 comments:

  1. Sounds like you and Tony had an enjoyable eveing. Wishing you many many more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You both ate well before Lent starts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For the past week or so I've justified a lot of diet excess with the Mardi Gras excuse.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I haven't had Steak 'n Shake for a long time! They closed most of the locations near us. It's good, but in my opinion not good enough to make a special trip for.

      Delete
  4. The story of you and your husband celebrating Fat Tuesday 5 years ago seems like a happy and exciting experience.
    Have a nice week
    Regards

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment.

      Delete
  5. You had me laughing in the beginning when you said that you were going to have a big, rich, fat-filled caloric blow out, then went to the store and bought flatbread and Caesar salad. All I could think was that you and I must have very different ideas of what a fat-filled caloric blow out is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both my intestinal system and my scale told me I really lived it up :-)

      Delete
  6. I can't keep the meanings of all the days straight in my head. But I think I'd like to celebrate fat Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh no! What a relief you were prepared with a back-up plan.

    ReplyDelete