Saturday, February 13, 2021

Cajun-ish

This is Mardi Gras weekend, the last hurrah before Lent starts on Wednesday. Although all of the in-person events in my area were cancelled, I still wanted to celebrate with food. I also wanted to use items we already in the house. There weren't many traditional ingredients, and I had to improvise.

Red Beans and Rice is a traditional Cajun recipe. I didn't have any red beans, but I decided a container of Great Northern beans from the freezer would work. There wasn't any andouille sausage, but some chopped ham gave the dish a nice meaty, salty taste. (Extra hot sauce added at the table added the missing heat.) No Cajun recipe would be complete without the "trinity" of onion, celery, and green pepper. I Googled recipes for Red Beans and Rice and clicked through to the third one. Based on their recommendations for spices I added paprika, oregano, thyme, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, and black pepper.

The resulting dish was pretty good.


& Five years ago today: It's Not About Me At All

7 comments:

  1. "garlic powder, cayenne pepper" No no no no no no ... and NO!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My insides take offense to caffeine, alcohol, and spices per my gastro doc. But I've never been a fan of spices. When I'm at a restaurant (from the long ago time), and a server walks by me with a plate full of spicy stuff, I can feel it in my eyes.
      If I find anything online that indicates a high Scoville scale rating, I let John (blogger) know about it. He is Mr. Heat. He talks about taking a toothpick, dipping it into a bottle of heat, then dipping the toothpick into his food, and it being too hot.

      Delete
    2. Ah! I thought you were a purist who was offended at some of my choices.

      Delete
    3. We haven't be blogging friends long enough for you to know I try never to be serious. Sometimes that gets me in trouble when I should be serious. Not that this was one of those times. But that's just a warning for anything in the future. :) (I should put more :) after my comments.)

      Delete