Saturday, October 17, 2020

A Dallas Debut

Hubby Tony and I just returned from a mini-vacation, road tripping to Dallas to visit with Oldest Son Tony and his family and attend the baptism of Granddaughter Gee.

It was an entire day's drive each way, and the first long road trip for Tony's new car. On the way there we went southwest through Little Rock. We took a different way home, going northeast through the Oklahoma Indian Nations and then east once we reached the interstate. The Sirius radio trial that came with Tony's car was still in force, which kept us from needing to channel surf in the outstate areas.

The days in between drives were filled with wonderful conversation, wonderful play time, and wonderful food. I quickly remembered how wonderful it is to sit on the floor and play with a baby...peek-a-boo, toys, books, and cuddles. During some nap times Tony and I got out and explored the neighborhood on foot.

On Sunday Tony and I were privileged to stand in as proxy godparents for her baptism, as the real godparents could not attend. There were three children baptized, and priest did a good job of modifying the ceremony for covid reasons (using a different cotton ball to anoint each child with oil, using a pitcher to pour holy water instead of dipping from the communal font, and skipping the prayers over the ears and mouth). It was still powerful, though, and I'm glad that we got to be a part of it.

First Grand who has dressed in pink!
 
Five years ago today: Next Year's Lawn Starts Now

12 comments:

  1. What a wonderful blessing that you and Tony were able to be there for the baptism!! Yay for a grand in pink! Woot! It's so lovely to be able to play with little ones . . . even though our youngest grand is now 2½ years old, it's still fun with him! Blessings to you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No grandbabies for me - and I have pretty much accepted it. Doesn't mean I like it - I was a Nanny for years and owned my own daycare business and I adore babies and children. I would have been a good grandma. I do have several great nieces and nephews. That works too, if you have nothing else.

    Sounds like a nice drive. I'd love to take a road trip like that one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like you're making the best of a less than perfect situation. I enjoy being in the car as long as there's not heavy traffic.

      Delete
  3. Hurrah for babies, and babies who lounge on dish towels grow up to be the best of all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does look like a dish towel, doesn't it? However, it was a large burp cloth.

      Delete
  4. It’s wonderful that the priest was able to modify the ceremony to insure safety for all. It fabulous that you could be godparent stand-ins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's amazing how we're all able to make allowances and modifications for this awful situation we're living in.

      Delete
  5. Glad you had some wonderful family time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a treat for you. Glad you had a safe trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of planning went into making the trip safe, and it was well worth it.

      Delete