Monday, October 5, 2020

No More Enumeration

 It's only been ten days since I worked on the U.S. Census operation to count homeless people, but it feels much longer than that. Last week I was offered the opportunity to move over to the operation for following up with people who haven't turned in their forms, but I declined because I have several commitments coming up.

Because of political manipulations, court cases, and judges rulings the date for ending data collection bounced around.....from October 31st, to September 30th, to October 5th, and then back to October 30th. Even though I wasn't using it I kept my phone charged,and I got an official message each time a change was made. 

Over the weekend I got a text from someone in a state that abuts Missouri, saying they were looking for people to join their effort. I ignored it. Today I got a text from my supervisor, which said that even though official operations were still going on there was no more work in this area. She requested that we make an appointment with her to turn in our equipment, which she would hold until the office was ready to officially process them after the official end of operations.

I sent a quick response, and got a late morning appointment time. The boxes of forms were still in the trunk of my car, but before I left I made sure all the phone accessories were in the package. I didn't want to have to make a second trip! 

My destination was the supervisor's house. When I arrived I carried the boxes of forms up to the porch and rang the doorbell.  She answered, but instead of inviting me in, for social distancing purposes I stood on the porch and filled out a form indicating I was turning in my badge and phone. The supervisor checked to make sure everything was there, asked me to sign the bottom of the form, and gave me a copy. The last thing I did was use my phone to input my time and mileage to her house, then handed it to her. We chatted for a couple of seconds and said our farewells.

I enjoyed my Census work, and if they want me in ten years I'm pretty sure I'll be available.

Five years ago today: Do Not Engage

10 comments:

  1. I work the census in 2000. I wouldn't now, mostly in my area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounded like interesting work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You were brave to take on such important work in a critical time in the history of this country. I think you are one of the true heroes of this land and should feel very good about what you have done. I hope you tell your grandchildren what you did in the 2020 census collection.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you had a successful and interesting experience in a very chaotic time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband did the census in 2000 and enjoyed it, too. I’m so glad you also had a good experience. I know it was a lot harder for you with the virus lurking everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for telling us about the census work. I've said it before, and once again, Thank You.

    ReplyDelete