Thursday, October 15, 2020

Hand Hygiene For All

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that you may not have known that today was Global Handwashing Day. (I didn't either, until I received an email from a body and skin care store telling me their products were a perfect way to celebrate.)

According to the website, the day is "a global advocacy day dedicated to increasing awareness and understanding about the importance of handwashing with soap as an effective and affordable way to prevent diseases and save lives" and "an opportunity to design, test, and replicate creative ways to encourage people to wash their hands with soap at critical times".

I've always done a good job of washing my hands, but back in the spring when the pandemic started I really kicked it up a notch. I know I'm fortunate in that there's always plenty of fresh water and soap available for me to use. And I have the luxury to choose what type suds to use: bar, liquid, or gel soap, scented or unscented, and with or without added moisturizers. 

Have you increased your hand washing in the past few months? Or were you always conscientious about it? What's your favorite type of soap to use?

Five years ago today: Operation Exercise

10 comments:

  1. I have always been conscientious but have kicked it up a notch and wash my hands more frequently. Wouldn't it be nice if all this hand washing would lower the incidence of the flu?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always been a good hand washer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Learned to wash hands as a child. My 4 decade career was in the Operating Room. I am fastidious and no, I don't wash more. Using hand santizer when I step into my car during weekly errands? That's a new thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to rarely use hand sanitizer. Now I take a pump from just about every bottle I see when I'm out.

      Delete
  4. I've been doing more handwashing than I've done in the past. I use whatever liquid soap I have. Friends have given me lots of different kinds of fancy soap. I confess I don't sing the Happy Birthday song while I do it anymore though... I guess I should.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We've always done great handwashing, so there really was no increase. I can only use the blue Dawn, whether for dish- or hand-washing (I use a pump-foamer for the hand-washing in the bathroom). And I cannot use soap at all in the shower due to my extreme skin issues and sensitivities (except for a very small drop of a non-irritating shampoo for my short hair). I just make it work. Thank goodness I'm not a construction worker or someone who gets grimy every day lol. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting that you're able to 'foam' Dawn. I wasn't aware that was an option.

      Delete