Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Who Are Those Masked People?

After I joined Nextdoor I was looking through the For Sale section and saw a post from a woman who was selling homemade masks. Hubby Tony and I had been talking about having more in the house, so I contacted her for more information.

I found out that she offered both pleated and fitted types. Both were double-layered, had a pocket for a filter, and a sewn-in nose wire. The fitted one cost a couple dollars more, but the price of each was reasonable. I could pay via PayPal or cash, and if I picked them up at her house I could save the shipping fee.

The woman sent me photos of material she had in stock. I chose something unisex, then ordered one of both styles so Tony and I could see which we liked better. The masks were done the next day, and the woman sent me a detailed message explaining where I would find the bag on her front porch and where to leave the money. The bag included a small label with washing and shaping instructions and  a business card that listed the woman's Etsy shop. Browsing through her site, I found out that she specialized in fabric and quilted items. Making masks must have been an easy shift for her.

Both masks were comfortable on my face, but Tony decided he liked the pleated one better. I contacted the woman and asked if I could get two more of that style, saying any dark geometric patterned material would be acceptable. This time I had to wait two days before I received a message telling me my order was ready. Once again I drove to her house and picked up the bag on the front porch.

I put one of my masks in my car and the other in my purse so I will always be ready in case I need to run an errand or pop into a store. However, I've been air drying the masks after they're washed, and they're sometimes damp when we need them. I may purchase even more so there's always something available.
Please ignore the quarantine hair...
Five years ago today: Frittering

18 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you. Not as fashionable as yours, but they will do.

      Delete
  2. They look great. Are you getting filters too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will use a coffee filter if I think it's necessary.

      Delete
  3. We now have three masks and Terry has his bandana from fire-fighting days in the Army Guard. I wash them as we use them, coming in through the garage and dumping the mask in the washing machine. Because Terry has had back-to-back medical appointments, I had to make a special effort to get his washed. I have three more ordered from a specialty shop that will print a big smile on the mask. Those are taking FOREVER.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen those masks with smiles. They look really fun.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Isn't it awful?! My first non-grocery store venturing out is going to be to Great Clips.

      Delete
  5. I have one in the car, one in the house. I may think about a third.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great. Also the hair is great.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like them! They are stylish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much nicer than the folded bandanas we were wearing before.

      Delete
  8. I was lucky enough to have a neighbor who had been making them surprise us by leaving some at our front door. I air dry mine too, and keep one in my car at all times. Love the look of yours. Stay well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You ARE lucky to have such a great neighbor.

      Delete
  9. I am on nextdoor too, it is a useful thing to join. How nice that worked for you two to buy masks. On my blog today I show a different style of mask that I have, it is like a sleeve you pull over your head. What a wild time we live in, masks, who would have thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen people wearing masks like that. However, I can't imagine having my neck covered in addition to half my face.

      Delete