Sunday, June 30, 2013

Shaved

When I was a kid I remember my dad lathering his face with a brush and shaving soap, then shaving with a double-edged safety razor. After I started to shave my legs I inherited one of his razors. I used that razor for decades. When Son Donald was old enough to shave he borrowed it and it got misplaced. For the past decade I've made do with disposable razors.

Two years ago Son Tony announced he'd discovered a "new" way to shave, and had bought himself a safety razor with all the accessories. He liked that it the blades gave him a smoother shave and cost much less than the multi-bladed cartridges he'd been using.  His enthusiasm convinced his dad, and that Christmas Hubby Tony had a shaving package under the tree.

I was now the only one using disposables.  Every couple of months I'd buy a large bag of the cheapest twin blade razors I could find, which did an acceptable job of removing the hair from my legs. However, when I got an Amazon gift certificate for Mother's Day this year I decided to treat myself and purchase a real razor of my own.

I chose a traditional butterfly (twist to open) design just I used to have.  Today I used it for the first time. After so many years the double edged razor took some getting used to; it takes a lot less pressure to get a close shave. I took my time, though, and am pleased to report I completed the job without any nicks.

Five years ago today: New Thing #171--Flapping in the Breeze

8 comments:

  1. wow...good for you! I remember my sister always cutting her shins! Did you use shave cream, too?
    My dad had a brush and soap, too. Fun memory. I didn't even know they made them anymore!

    I have a 5 blade hydro shick...not disposable, though. Well, the handle is permanent and the blades last about a year each. I love that it's flexible over my knees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first time I shaved my legs I used my mom's razor on the sly. Took a strip of skin off my entire right shin, then had to hide it from her until it healed :-)

      Delete
  2. oh this is all scary stuff, I use the disposables.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to minimize my ecological footprint (i.e., throw less stuff away).

      Delete
  3. Speaking of razors, I've been surprised at how good those disposable razors have gotten. We got them at the hotels in China and they were as good as my regular razors at home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When we were in China I was surprised at what they included in our room. I came home with several tiny tubes of toothpaste and a few pairs of slippers. Did you buy the razors or were they supplied?

      Delete
  4. Kathy how did you ever put up with disposables for all these years? I sure don't like them and seem to nick myself whenever I try to use one, so much so that I don't use one unless it's a dire emergency! I wonder if you'll find the same thing after you're used to a good razor and try to go back to a disposable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder...when I used new razor for the second time today I REALLY enjoyed how my legs felt

      Delete