Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Just Another Day At The Mall

When  I left for the gym this morning at 9:30 a light but steady rain was falling.  It continued the whole drive there and was still raining when I came out. As I drove to work the rain didn't let up, and when I walked into the mall to start my work shift I had to dodge the raindrops.  According to the forecast, it would be wet all day.

I think that everyone who lived in the vicinity of the mall and had outdoor plans cancelled decided to come browse today. The parking garage was packed, and there were three times as many people there as yesterday. Many of them came to the Customer Service desk and asked me questions. Most of the questions were the straightforward ones I can answer in my sleep--Where is the bathroom/specific store/movie theater? However, I also got quite a few off the wall queries:
  • Where can I get balloons/gourmet cupcakes/a henna tattoo? (None are available in the mall.  I did a lot of Google searches during this shift!)
  • What company services the plants in the mall? (I don't know, but they wear green shirts)
  • Where's the closest independent bookstore and how can I get there by public transit? (I gave the person a couple of names and a Metro brochure)
  • Do you know the name of the [jazz instrumental] song that's playing over the intercom right now? (No)
The craziest thing that happened, though, involved a 20-something man who asked for a wheelchair for a friend.  Our policy is to have the person leave some type of ID, which we hold until the chair is returned.  The man didn't have anything on him.  His friend was moving slow, but was on his way. Could he take the wheelchair to him?  I sadly explained the boss wouldn't let me do that.  He needed to leave something with me.

The young man was covered in bling--two rapper necklaces with sparkling pendants, big diamond ear studs, and several large diamond-encrusted rings.  I suggested he could use a piece of his jewelry as collateral, take the wheelchair to his friend, then come back with the ID.  He acted like I'd asked him to cut off his arm and relinquish it to me.  I smiled and didn't say anything.  When he saw I wasn't going to change my mind, he reluctantly removed one of his rings and handed it over.  Before I could put it in a secure location, though, his friend hobbled up and handed over his ID.  Ring was returned.  Problem solved.

Five years ago today: New Thing #173--Two Trillion Methods

10 comments:

  1. interesting wheelchair story, you handled that so well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to laugh at your being asked the name of the song because, before I learned of and figured out how to download a song identifier app to my cell, that would have been me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shirley, you're MUCH more technologically proficient than I am!

      Delete
  3. That's funny how people think that just because you work at customer service you're supposed to know EVERYTHING! The name of a song which you probably didn't even realize was playing, stores outside of the mall, the name of Rumpelstiltskin's first born child, you know that sort of stuff... good thing I don't work where you do, I have this uncanny way of answering stupid questions with stupid comebacks and the other party can never quite tell if I'm kidding or not! A trick of the trade being a bartender for 20+ years.

    You do an amazing job and I commend you for this Kathy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After directing people to the closest bathroom for hours, I'd MUCH rather be confronted with an unusual question!

      Delete
  4. My mother always said that people went shopping when it rained because they couldn't do other work. We were a farm family so that made sense back then. Now, though, I wonder. It's the same thing here, more people shopping when it's raining. Terry says it's because they don't want to stay home in the gray day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL to the last paragraph. I guess that was a good friend?? And how in the WORLD would you know what music was playing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The funny thing is that I know the vast majority of the music, which is usually classic (soft) rock.

      Delete