Sunday, August 30, 2009

Stick To It

One day recently when I got to work I saw that my favorite cup, a Sylvester the Cat coffee mug, had been broken. The handle was knocked off and laying on the shelf next to the mug. I could have thrown it away, but I kinda like seeing the crazed-looking Sylvester looking back at me as I drink, so I figured I'd try to glue the handle back on.

However, what glue would work best? Fortunately, I had just read a post on Girls Guide to the Galaxy that addressed the very topic. That was how I came to visit the Website This to That. Their tagline is: Because people have a need to glue things to other things, and it claims it can help you choose the right glue for any surface.

The Website was easy to use. Both the "This" and "That" side have about a dozen choices of surfaces. After I picked Ceramic as the choice for both sides and hit the "Let's Glue" button, I got the answer that I should use one of four products: Krazy Glue, Super Glue, Zap, or Zap-a-Gap (if the item had gaps to fill).

I went to my local drug store, bought a double pack of Super Glue, and followed the directions to attach the handle back to the cup. It only took a few seconds to glue the handle back on. However, I got a bit of glue on my finger and had to get out some fingernail polish remover and scrub it a bit until the adhesive came off.

The fix wasn't invisible, but it doesn't look too bad. I put the cup by my pile of work stuff to take with me when I leave the house. Sylvester and I will be "bonding" again over a cup of coffee tomorrow. (Sorry!)

4 comments:

  1. I personally use Krazy Glue for everything. However, it does lose its effectiveness [in the tube, not once applied] quite quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Sylvester would definately approve!
    Good for you, keep that cup going as long as possible!
    BIG smiles...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a computer angel who uses a laptop. I keep knocking her over and breaking off the laptop cover. bless his heart, Terry superglues her back together for me every time. Maybe I should do a blog post on her. She's quite a character.

    ReplyDelete