Tuesday, October 8, 2024

Weight Walking

This week I crossed getting a screening mammogram and a bone density scan off my list of things to do. The tests were back-to-back, and the technician told me I would get the results quickly. She was right; before the end of the day the information was in my patient portal.

The mammogram was normal. The bone density showed that my bones needed some improvement. I was sad but not surprised; I'm Caucasian, female, old-ish, with a thin build - all risk factors for osteoporosis. The best way to improve bone strength is with weight bearing exercises. However, when I try to do any type of weights at the gym my left shoulder lets me know that's not a good idea. Time to find a different solution.

I don't know about you, but my mind remembers things and spits them back at random times. Weeks ago I read an article about rucking, which is the act of walking while carrying a weighted backpack. I suspected that would help build bones, and an internet search confirmed my suspicion. I also found out that a good starting point for rucking would be 3-5% of my body weight for either one mile or 20 minutes, whichever is shorter.

I dug around in the coat closet and found a backpack. I dug around in Hubby Tony's pile of hand weights and put an appropriate-sized one in the backpack. Then we went for a walk. The weight on my back was obvious but not particularly pronounced. It was easy to carry, even up the hills.

My friend Google said I should aim to ruck two or three times a week and eventually increase my weight or walking speed. I suppose doing both wouldn't hurt either.

Five years ago today: Flip Flops Lost And Found

17 comments:

  1. Very good! I take vid D supplements that help too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Calcium, vitamin D, magnesium....I use them all.

      Delete
  2. Interesting. I have never heard of this before, but what a great solution to building stronger bones. Proud of you for searching this out....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the idea using a back back with weights is genius and you didn't have to go out and buy anything. I love the idea and I might try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I end up sticking with it I might think about putting something more 'official' on my Christmas list.

      Delete
  4. Brilliant idea - cheap and effective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheap and Effective are two of my favorite words.

      Delete
  5. Did Google just tell you to find a path and ruck off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was SO tempted to use the word in a punnish way but decided not to. Glad you did.

      Delete
    2. Good one - wish I thought of it.

      Delete
  6. I enjoy walking for exercise. Sleep walking - not so good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This strategy helped one of my friends immensely. Good on ya.

    ReplyDelete