Sunday, October 27, 2024

Dramatic Tragedy

On Friday night Hubby Tony and I went to the Hi-Pointe Theater. From now until Halloween they are celebrating with a "Hauntathon".


 I'm not a fan of blood and gore horror movies, but not everything they're showing fits into that category (as evidenced by the marquee sign for the sold-out showing of the Rocky Horror Picture Show). Instead, we saw a classic suspense movie-the original version of The Phantom of the Opera.
I thought I knew the plot of Phantom, but my knowledge is based on the Andrew Lloyd Weber musical. It turns out that the title character in the early version was much more malicious. The story revolves around The Phantom (AKA Erik, a disfigured, masked recluse who lives underneath the Paris Opera House), Christine DaaƩ, (a young opera singer that he mentors from afar, then kidnaps), and Vicomte Raoul de Chagny (Christine's beau). In his lair Erik professes his love but is spurned. He vows to get revenge on both Christine and Raoul.

Every silent movie has a musical accompaniment. I expected some type of traditional organ or piano. Instead, two musicians at the front of the theater played a moody electronic score, which corresponded perfectly with what was playing on the screen and added to the eerie mood. I was caught up in the plot twists and turns. Even though I was pretty sure I knew how things would end it was still bittersweet when the movie was over.

8 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed some seasonal fun! -Christine cmlk79.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh... I've only known the Andrew Lloyd Weber version too. Now I'm wondering about the original story. I'm so glad you were able to enjoy this movie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’ve never see that version. That must have been really enjoyable. The Andrew Lloyd Weber is my favorite version. Gee I haven’t seen it in ages and will have to look for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice that you were able to get out and enjoy some of the local seasonal movie fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some of those great old silent films are wonderful to see on a big screen again. And it sounds like there was the perfect musical accompaniment!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Talk about a trip back in time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My father used to play the accompaniment to silent films in theatres!
    We watched the the Royal Albert Hall video of the 25th anniversary performance of the Phantom of the Opera last night. It was stupendous. I'd like to see the Lon Chaney version.

    ReplyDelete