Sunday, May 26, 2024

Dive Bombing Displeasure

Are you tired of hearing about periodical cicadas yet? (I am!) However, their mating/egg laying cycle is only halfway over, with predictions of two more weeks before they disappear for another 13 years. Based on my informal observations, the past few days may be the peak of activity.

The forecast Hubby Tony heard right before we I went to bed last night today was for rain. That's what was happening when we woke up, but much to our surprise the sun came out mid-morning. My weather app said it would be dry until late afternoon.

With the unexpected nice weather we decided to go out to get some coffee (by taking advantage of the baseball Cardinals 6-run game promotion at Mobil on the Run). We chose a location that had an on-demand brew system. After procuring our caffeine, we decided to walk to a nearby grocery store to pick up a couple of items Tony needed for dinner.

Most of the walk was along a busy arterial road, but when we came to a nice-looking residential street I asked Tony if he wanted to turn. He agreed. The short lane was lined with cute bungalows and two-stories. All of them had large yards and mature landscaping. And more flying cicadas than I had ever seen. The quantity and noise was similar to this video:

Logically, I knew that the insects are renowned for their clumsy flying, and all they're doing is searching for a mate, but it was unnerving to  bob and weave to avoid them. After walking through the gauntlet of flying bugs we made it back to the main street and headed toward the grocery store. We saw fewer flying menaces, but quite a few cicadas were hanging out around a weed tree patch.

At the store Tony picked out a nice ripe avocado and a bunch of green onions. On the way out of the store I stopped at the stand of free publications. One of them had a cover story about free summer concerts, so I decided to bring one home to see if there were any I didn't know about. 

This magazine used to be bulk mailed to our old house, and I tend not to agree with their editorial positions. But the rolled up issue was great for swatting at the dive-bombing cicadas on the way back to the car.

Five years ago: Inoculation Anon

10 comments:

  1. I wouldn’t leave the house! I don’t like flying bugs like that. Gives me the willies just thinking about it.
    Funny about the magazine to swat them with! Smart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can coexist with most insects, but not those who jump or fly unpredictably. Fortunately, the area right around our condo doesn't have as many.

      Delete
  2. Did you notice when it was raining they shut up?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. And at least at our place they go quiet at night.

      Delete
  3. I have not seen cicadas in my part of Florida, however, I have experienced them in Pennsylvania when they were flying all around. Good idea to hold a magazine to swat them!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find it fascinating that periodical cicadas only occupy about a third of the US--and you won't find them in any other country.

      Delete
  4. I read cicadas are good for the environment -Christine cmlk79.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard that too, and it makes sense. All of the dead insect carcasses will decompose into the soil and make it richer.

      Delete
  5. Thank goodness it only happens every thirteen years.

    ReplyDelete