Wednesday, May 22, 2024

Big Bug Buzz

I came across an article that talked about the current brood of periodical cicadas putting out potentially dangerous sound levels. The reporters used a decibel meter several places around town. At one park they had readings between the high 80s to mid-90s. At another location the insects were louder than a light rail system train, and at a third louder than a tanker truck driving on the interstate.

According to the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association, sounds at 85 dB can lead to hearing loss if you listen for more than eight hours at a time, and higher loudness causes faster damage.

If you've never heard a cicada buzz, it's a rising and falling drone. I find the annual cicadas whirr pleasurable, but put millions of them together and it's downright unpleasant. A cool front came through the area last night, and today we opened up the windows, which meant that the cicada drone was even more obvious.

I was curious just how loud the din was at our house, so I used the online loudness meter at Youlean.co. The noise turned out not to be so bad. I Placed the laptop immediately next to the windows in each room and got values of 30-36dB (similar to leaves rustling or a study room). Outside on the deck, the meter showed a range of 54-60 dB (about the same as a normal conversation).  

We're halfway through this cicada cycle. In about two weeks the singing and mating should be wrapped up. Thank goodness!

Five years ago: Unconcerned

24 comments:

  1. I’ve never heard it from all that I’ve heard, I don’t want to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dunno....maybe everyone should experience it at least once :-)

      Delete
  2. our cicadas are really loud here even from inside the house. didn't know about hearing loss from them, so good not to work outdoors for long hours right now I am guessing

    ReplyDelete
  3. We don't have cicadas in Toronto -Christine cmlk79.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's interesting how nature has arranged all the different types of species.

      Delete
  4. Cicadas are like crickets over here. I wrote about them on my Blog today. Interesting fact.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The two insects may sound the same, but they're actually in different families.

      Delete
  5. That is really interesting! That is a great project. We have a variety of cicadas here, but not this type!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The periodical cicadas are uniquely North American, and only live in a section of the country. The US Forest Service has a cool map of their locations on the website.

      Delete
  6. Interesting. We don't have them here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, but I bet you have some different unique insect nuisances.

      Delete
  7. We've had those giant broods, the 17 year ones and the sound was so intense even through closed windows, we took work home. It was dangerously loud and endless. When it stops, you feel you can still hear it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For the past two nights my ears have been ringing in the evening. I was stumped until I figured out it was probably from the cicadas.

      Delete
  8. Mrs. Shife and I were out there for the last one when my folks lived in Peoria and it was a little bonkers how disturbing that sound can be as it goes on and on.

    ReplyDelete
  9. According to a naturalist in Burr Oaks Conservation in Blue Springs we will not be getting your cicadas only the usual annual ones... so things are quiet!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've noticed they are in some trees and not in others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too. Thankfully there don't seem to be too many in the huge maple just outside of the building front door.

      Delete
  11. I had to google to see how they look like...good that we don't have the problem.

    ReplyDelete