Friday, April 19, 2024

Settling In

Debra at She Who Seeks left a comment asking what our foster cat's name was. I can't believe I didn't formally introduce Pimento (which is the moniker given to him by the shelter) !

It's now been three days since Pimento left his last foster home and came to ours. The first thing Hubby Tony and I did when we set the cage in the office was to open the door. Pimento spent the rest of the day hugging its far back wall. At bedtime we closed the office door. During the night we heard some noises from the room. The next morning the water and food bowls had been tipped over and the cage was empty.

There weren't too many places an adult cat could go. The room has a day bed with a trundle underneath it, and we found Pimento hiding in a six-inch gap behind the trundle. He spent the rest of Wednesday and the daylight hours on Thursday there. Each morning there was evidence that he had eaten/drank/used the litter box.

If I'm quiet maybe they won't find me

Not only did he officially set up shop behind the trundle bed, somehow he managed to move the hefty metal frame three additional inches from the wall so the hidey hole was a little bigger.

Yesterday morning Tony left for the weekend. When I went to bed last night I left the office door open. This morning Pimento wasn't in his cage or the spot behind the bed. I walked around the condo looking for him in obvious places, then not so obvious places. When I checked out the office a third time I noticed a lump on the bed. Guess what the lump was?

Found you!

17 comments:

  1. Lovely cat. One of my early cats, feral, rescued from a dumpster, spent her first month with me behind the washing machine. She came out for food, water, litterbox, but was otherwise invisible. Eventually she was with me everywhere! Took a while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Pimento" is a cute name for a cat! Glad he is venturing out more and feeling more secure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh poor boy. Do you have some catnip for him?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't thought about it. Thanks for the suggestion.

      Delete
  4. He likes beds. How did he push that one away from the wall? Fall between the bed and wall and push? You should get a camera. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I knew how it happened, but your theory is logical.

      Delete
  5. Pimento is quite good at hide and seek.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They do like cosy nooks and corners.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sweet Pimento! Cats sure can find great places to hide!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sure is a pretty cat. I imagine he will soon discover what a great friend you are.

    ReplyDelete