Monday, April 8, 2024

Almost Total 2024

Last week Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) of Straight Up - No Chaser wrote about how she was not going to be participating in today's eclipse viewing. I commented, saying:

I saw the one that passed just over our area in 2017. We volunteered for a viewing event at a local retreat center, which was a lot of fun, but one totality was enough for me.

The eclipse totality was just a couple of hours south of us. In St. Louis it was 99 percent. For the past week every media outlet has had stories about the event. Over the weekend it seemed like every other post on my Buy Nothing group was a request for eclipse glasses. I ignored the stories and scrolled by the requests.


This morning Hubby Tony said he was going to buy a pair of eclipse glasses and asked if I wanted some. I work on Monday, but decided to have him get me a pair. They were only a dollar, and that way if everyone else in the parish office was going outside to see the eclipse I could be sociable and join them.

In anticipation of my Monday night meal I spent some time thinking about how I could come up with a themed dinner. I even went to the grocery store to see if I could find a good inspiration ingredient but came away empty handed. 

That turned out to be a good thing, because mid-morning I got a text from the pastor. He had decided to drive down to the totality zone and would not be there for dinner. The associate priest said he would fend for himself. Just like that I had a free day.

Tony and I talked about what that meant. The McDonnell Planetarium in Forest Park (a 20-minute drive east of the house) was offering activities, so we decided to head there after our class at the gym. However, just before it was time to leave for the gym I ended up smacking my toe into the bed frame. I quickly determined it wasn't broken, but it was painful to walk.

On the drive to and from the gym and again on the way to the park we heard stories on the radio of gridlocked highways and roads on the way south to totality. One man said a normal half hour drive had taken him three hours, and we were thankful we weren't in the mess. We stopped at Comet Coffee for a cup (an appropriate store name for spending time looking at the sky, don't you think?), then drove to the park and followed the signs to the Planetarium.

There were quite a few cars already parked along the street, and I didn't want to walk far, so we modified our plans and found a spot on the grass to spread our towel. The eclipse was in its initial stage. I ate the apple I had brought (a Cosmic Crisp), then placed the eclipse glasses over my regular glasses and laid on the ground to watch the moon cover more and more of the sun. It was very peaceful. By the time the skies darkened and we saw 99 percent totality there were quite a few groups doing the same thing as us.

After the moon started to move away from the sun Tony and I decided to leave. It turned out to be not too far to the Planetarium so I limped there to use the bathroom. They were live streaming totality from different places. We watched the event from Cleveland and Niagara Falls before heading home.

25 comments:

  1. Sorry about your toe. Great that you had a free night. I loved the moon over the sun. Got to see it from the front stoop. Loved that! We had to leave early today and on our way back lots of happy people gathered round the lake and other places. It was great to see so many get together for something happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's hard not to get caught up in the excitement once the big day actually arrives. You were wise to stay out of the gridlock driving down to the zone of totality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As bad as it was on the way down, it sounds like it was even worse coming back! The 9 pm news had video of the still-gridlocked highway...six hours after what passed for totality here.

      Delete
  3. So lucky! It was so cloudy here we barely got a few glimpses. Sorry about your toe. -Christine cmlk79.blogsoot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of you yesterday when they were showing live stream from Niagara Falls.

      Delete
  4. It's easy to stub your toe in the dark. Makes a good story even if it wasn't dark yet. I laughed at the fact you were eating a Cosmic apple! That's certainly pre-planning, and if it wasn't, kind of spooky. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll credit serendipity for my apple choice. It was the only one left in the fruit drawer.

      Delete
  5. What time did you smack your toe? I smacked my little toe around noon. It's all black and blue now. IT WAS THAT DAMN ECLIPSE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could blame it on the eclipse, but we left for the gym at a little after 10 and my accident happened shortly before that.

      Delete
  6. I remember the 2017 one but we were to only have 20% to 30% today and today was overcast here, didn't even notice any increased darkness due to it already being overcast and gloomy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My son in California's Central Valley sent photos of his 35%.

      Delete
  7. Why did you smack your toe? Was it because it was too dark because of the eclipse? We went to see the eclipse at night. It was too dark to see anything.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I knew why my toe ran into the bed post, but other than complaining it hurts it hasn't said anything.

      Delete
  8. 33% here in the northern Central Valley - I didn’t notice a difference. No more than a cloud passing by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My oldest son, who also lives in the Central Valley, sent us some photos of what he saw. Very similar to what you described.

      Delete
  9. I did watch from TV. Because my hometown was directly in the path I saw Cleveland etc like you. It was interesting to see all the crying of the anchors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my opinion, the talking heads were pretty melodramatic.

      Delete
  10. Someone gave me a pair of special viewing glasses for the eclipse. I had not planned on looking but last minute took a look. I was really happy I did. It was really interesting. In Florida we saw about 50 per cent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was happy I didn't let the event go by unobserved.

      Delete
  11. Oh yay, Kathy! I'm so glad you got to experience it. I watched some of the coverage on TV and had to smile to see the anchor being so choked up and teary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I missed the newsperson's emotions, but several people commented on it.

      Delete
  12. We got the totality back in 2017 and this time it was like 30% so I didn't even bother. Hope your toe is OK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your concern. It is almost there.

      Delete