Friday, August 4, 2023

If You Use Blogger, Are You Having Issues?

I've been blogging since 2008. In that time Blogger has had its fair share of issues. The most recent problem revolves around commenting on other Blogger sites. The process used to be seamless-my profile was automatically there and I just had to start adding content. Then all of a sudden I started seeing this warning:

Comment with your Google account if you’d like to be able to manage your comments in the future. If you comment anonymously, you won’t be able to edit or delete your comment.
Depending on the blog settings there's a list or drop down box of options to choose Google Account, Anonymous, or Name/URL. Most of the time the first one works, although for some reason I have to click on an extra box to allow it. Annoying, but gets the job done.

But tonight I'm seeing a completely new issue. I wanted to reply to comments on my latest post, but I keep getting an error message...ON MY OWN BLOG! The message says:

Unable to sign in to comment. Please check your browser configurations to allow sign-in. Learn more. You can still comment anonymously, or with name and URL
I've tried using both my desktop and my laptop. Neither worked. Based on past experience the issue will fix itself. I just hope it doesn't take too long.

Five years ago today: Here's To Smiles

21 comments:

  1. If I remember right, there used to be a comment box. Now there is a comment line. The "comment as" used to be below the box. Now it is above the line with a drop down menu. My Google login is there now along with my icon. I think if I log out of Google, I log out of blogger too. And vice versa. When you're trying to comment look at the header at the top of the page and see if it's asking you to sign in. I've had to sign in a few times recently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Obviously, since I'm replying to your suggestions the problem has been fixed. But yesterday, signing in took me to the blog dashboard instead of letting me comment.

      Delete
  2. I just checked. I still have the comment "box". No wonder I'm confused!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe half the time blogs let me comment in the old quick way, the other offers the choice of comment as name/url so that is how I comment in those cases. I type in Terra as my name and for the url I type in my full blog address which begins https://terragarden ... It takes a bit more time but it works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I do, too, but last night the comment box was completely grayed out!

      Delete
  4. When you can't comment on your own Blog just log in again. Tedious, but it works.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I told Mike, logging in brought me to the dashboard. Clicking on a post opened it, but there was still no option to comment.

      Delete
  5. I hope it resolves, I cannot comment on some blogs using my iphone 12 but my old iphone 6 works and my laptop for the most part

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And this morning here I am commenting away :-)

      Delete
  6. Right now, no issues, but I've had that one before too. I can't recall what fixed it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had never noticed that dropdown before! My problem is that folks who used to comment with their Google account are having to comment as "anonymous". And if they don't remember to tell me who they are, I don't always know. I wonder if they know about the dropdown thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I rarely have to use the anonymous option (thank goodness).

      Delete
  8. Ok, I know I posted a comment to this piece, and yet it's not here. I think this may have happened one other time. So, perhaps there are gremlins in Blogger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gremlins is a great way to describe the entire issue.

      Delete
  9. I don't know what's going on with Blogger and if I'm honest, I can't believe they haven't pulled the plug on all of us, yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many people who use Blogger for a platform, and I'm sure there would be a lot of pushback and negative publicity if they closed down.

      Delete
  10. Blogger has been weird off and on lately, yes. There are a few blogs I have a hard time commenting on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a couple of blogs that NEVER let me comment.

      Delete
  11. I have similar problems commenting on blogs. On your blog I was able to use the drop down menu to add my name and url ; however, many times I do that and it stills comes up anonymous. There is a google message to sign into google - I do that and it doesn't work either. There are some Blogger blogs that I cannot comment on no matter what I try. This is a dilemma.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like we're both having the same problems!

      Delete