Tuesday, August 15, 2023

Setting Up For A Session

Earlier this month I replaced my laptop. 

I couldn't remember when I bought the old one, but the serial number sticker on the bottom said it was manufactured in February of 2017. As a rule of thumb, the average lifespan of a laptop is three to four years. Compared to that mine had a nice long life, but in the past six months it definitely had issues. The battery wasn't holding a charge as long as it used to. The start up time was measured in minutes rather than seconds. A couple of apps wouldn't open. 

And so it was time to get a new one.

I did research, asked a couple of techies what they recommended, and ultimately bought a new model from Costco during the state's Back-to-School Sales Tax Holiday (which saved me a nice chunk of change). I spent a couple of hours downloading browsers, programs, and apps before everything was configured the way I wanted it. Since then it's been a joy to open the top panel and get to work

Tomorrow night I'm hosting a Zoom meeting, and I realized a couple of days ago that I should probably test my webcam before then. You can do just about anything online, including a Webcam Test. The process was easy to do.The site detected the camera and asked me  to press the “Test my cam” button to check its functionality and properties.

I clicked the button and began the test. Two minutes later the test was completed, and all the camera's stats were displayed. 

I was glad to know that the basics were functional, but I still didn't want any surprises, so I set up a test Zoom meeting and sent the invitation to Hubby Tony. Good thing I did, because before the meeting could start it needed to do a download. It would have been really embarrassing to not be on time to my own meeting!

The actual Zoom took less than 30 seconds. Tony and I said hello and goodbye. I ended it.

Five years ago: Calendar Fun

15 comments:

  1. If I'm running the Zoom meeting I always log on early because many times Zoom will do an update, without asking, that takes a few minutes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I've been surprised by those updates also. They usually come at the least convenient time possible.

      Delete
  2. My laptop is probably about 7 years old now. It still works find but it getting a little slower. Oh well, I'll put off getting a new one as long as possible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's how I felt, but the day I realized that my parish cooking paychecks could pay for a new one I immediately started the research process.

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on your new computer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, the details of a new computer. I'm fortunate with Apple, everything loads from the cloud, BUT all the apps and other programs can tell it's a new device so I have to go through all the gyrations with the passwords. Once I've proven to them that it's really me, they go along smoothly. Same thing when I got a new iPhone. Hope you love your new device. How did we ever live without them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first thing I downloaded was my preferred browser (Firefox). The second thing I downloaded was my password manager app. Those two made the rest of the process very easy.

      I completely agree with your statement about our reliance on computers!

      Delete
  5. Good thinking and a smart move, Kathy. Too many people don't get prepared before something like that and face some unfortunate consequences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been running in so many different direction I was happy I remembered.

      Delete
  6. Good you got a new one although I am surprised to hear a laptop only lasts 3-4 years - I'll be due soon. It's always good to do a trial run ! Enjoy your new laptop!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's Judee from Gluten Free A-Z blog above as anonymous

      Delete
    2. I wondered about the lifespan, too, but found similar information on quite a few websites.

      Delete