Sunday, August 6, 2023

Briny Rejuvenation

In my home kitchen I use a dishcloth for hand washing the things that can't go in the dishwasher. Every morning throw it in the laundry (along with the dish towel that hangs over the oven handle) and start new ones. 

However, at the church their preference is for a sponge. I have to go with their choice, but each time I'm there I try to make sure the sponges are rinsed well so they don't pick up any odors, and toss them in the microwave for a couple of minutes to sanitize them.

When I read about using salt to clean sponges, it sounded like an interesting idea. The theory is that table salt draws moisture from the sponge, which reduces the likelihood that bacteria can survive. It can also absorb oil from the sponge, making it more efficient. This morning I decided to give salt a try. 

There were two methods-a saltwater soak and a vinegar/salt/water soak. I used the first. 

There are always two sponges in the sink. Because I was also actively cooking I kept one of the sponges to clean up messes with. I filled a small bowl with warm water and a quarter cup of salt, mixed until the salt was completely dissolved, then added the second sponge. It wanted to float, so I placed a slightly smaller bowl on top of the sponge to keep it submerged. 

The last thing I did before I left a couple of hours later was to remove the sponge from the water, squeeze it out, then rinse it with clean water. It looked and smelled clean. For extra effect I even put it in the microwave. 

8 comments:

  1. I've read where the most bacteria laden thing in your house is the kitchen sink. More so than the toilet. And except for the sponge that's in the sink. "They" say to keep a supply of sponges and throw away older ones.

    My policy is, if it doesn't fit in the dishwasher, don't use it. 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to put as much in the dishwasher as possible. However, there are too many things that can't/wont go in there...the 40+ year old pots, metal mixing bowls that get used multiple times a day, and my *favorite* tea mug.

      Delete
  2. Such a good idea for the salt with the sponges. I'll have to try it. I have started to wash more by hand so I don't use the dishwasher as much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We bought this terrific cloth that dries out really quickly, killing germs and bacteria. I agree about the sponges. Good research on the sponges.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next time I need dishcloths I will look into your type.

      Delete