Sunday, August 13, 2023

Conversation And Education

This morning for breakfast at the church I made pan pancakes (batter poured into a greased baking sheet, baked, and sliced into squares), scrambled eggs, bacon, and fresh cantaloupe. The clergy comes in to eat between 9:00 and 10:30 mass. Often they eat and run, but today one of the deacons and the associate priest invited me to sit and talk with them for a while.

The deacon mentioned that he recently found an old 45 RPM record in his basement. It dated back to his teenage years and featured a version of the Lord's Prayer sung by an Australian nun that had made it onto the Billboard Top 100 chart.

I had never heard of the song or Janet Mead, the singer. The associate priest wasn't even born then. However, he searched on his phone and shortly we were all listening to the song.

The deacon called it folk music. I think it's more of a  pop-rock tune. Whatever the style, it's a catchy tune that I can't get it out of my head.

Five years ago: Gettin' Our Kicks

9 comments:

  1. I love that he used his phone to look it up. Phones, those mini computers. Love the pancake tray bake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it amazing that we have immediate access to just about any facts?

      Delete
  2. Good song and breakfast sounded good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting. There are 10 video versions of this on YouTube. This one is 3 years old. there is one that is 10 years old. But this one has all the credits of people that did a 12 song album.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. According to the Wikipedia page for Janet Mead there were several iterations of the song. And the song's heyday was long before the age of videos.

      Delete
  4. Thank you Kathy, you brought back memories. I used to play this song on my Christian Radio Program "Time for Reflections". I'd forgotten who sang it.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had wondered if you might be familiar with it!

      Delete
  5. I think it's great, with all the time you spend cooking there, that every once in a while you get a chance to sit down and talk and get to know each other a little better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's definitely one of the nice parts of the job.

      Delete