Friday, May 26, 2023

Uncommonality

This morning my horoscope in the newspaper said:

Capricorn (Dec. 22-Jan. 19) — Today is an 8 — Discover unexpected serendipity along the road. Your research turns up a treasure. Luck follows initiative. Savor truth, beauty and goodness. Make a lovely discovery.

The Cambridge Dictionary told me that serendipity was "the fact of finding interesting or valuable things by chance". At the beginning of the long Memorial Day weekend with a forecast of beautiful weather and not many plans the concept sounded wonderful. I wondered what interesting things would be revealed. For the rest of the day I tried to find them.

In the morning Hubby Tony and I went our separate ways, but we were both back home by noon. He fed Jackson the Cat and I took a cat nap. After I got up we talked about what the rest of the day would be about. It felt like we were both looking for an adventure, so while we ran essential errands we tried to sprinkle in unique experiences along the way.

Tony was the driver. First we did the have tos. Tony dropped off some checks, we went to a discount club, came back home to drop off perishable items, then headed to a food distributor store for an item the discount club didn't carry. 

After the have tos came the want tos. Tony parked in a far corner of a parking lot next to the trailhead of the Deer Creek Greenway. As the weatherman predicted, the weather was lovely--upper 70 degrees Fahrenheit and low humidity, with the sun warm enough the shade felt really good. 

We came across a double air walker exercise machine installed just off the path, stepped on, and tried it out. A couple of minutes later I saw purple splotches on the path, evidence of nearby mulberries. I looked around until I found the trees and picked a couple of ripe berries to eat. They were small but flavorful.

When the park trail ended Tony and I looped around on subdivision streets to return to the park.  We both enjoy observing different neighborhoods and this was a good one, with a nice variety of houses and landscaping. 

Back at the car, Tony drove around until he saw The Piccadilly at Manhattan restaurant, one that's been on his list to try. Even though it wasn't 5:00 yet we decided it would be okay to get dinner. We ended up splitting a pork steak special, which came with baked beans and cole slaw, and added a house salad.

When the food came I was too busy dividing up the 24 ounce pork steak to remember to take a photo. The meat was an inch and a half thick and covered half of the large platter. It was fork-tender and coated with a perfectly sweet and tangy barbecue sauce. The sides were obviously made in house. The salad was acceptable, but I found myself wishing we had added more beans and slaw instead. We ended the meal with a piece of key lime pie.

Five years ago today: Watery Closet

7 comments:

  1. What a great horoscope, and the best news is that it was true. I think that restaraunt Tony wanted to try had your treasure waiting for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually don't even take a look at the daily horoscope, and when I do only take action on a small percentage of them. In this case I believe you're right on both counts.

      Delete
  2. The Piccadilly at Manhattan has the best fried chicken around. We used to go there a lot, pre Covid and pre Parkinson's. I'll have to remember to start going back there for carryout.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was looking at the menu I had my eye on the fried chicken, but got seduced by the pork steak special. I also saw a pot pie come out from the kitchen and it looked REALLY good.

      Delete
  3. Good horoscope followed by a nice day

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never eaten a mulberry. I have to go look them up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mulberries look like blackberries. Most of the trees I see are weeds, sown by birds eating the berries and pooping out the seeds.

      Delete