Thursday, May 18, 2023

Adventures In Dishwasher Shopping

When Hubby Tony and I moved into our condo three years ago we inherited all the kitchen appliances. They weren't new,  but they worked well. A couple of months ago the dishwasher decided to start misbehaving. The heated dry cycle was non-existent, and based on the length of time it took for a load to finish washing I suspected that cycle wasn't too far behind.

I went to the library, looked at the Consumer Reports magazine, and determined that the Bosch brand was the way to go. At the beginning of April Tony and I stopped by an independent appliance dealer to do some research. The associate agreed with our assessment of the brand, but said that because of supply chain issues it was hard to keep the brand in stock. He tried to steer us toward something else, but we thanked him for his time and left.

Then life happened and the new dishwasher project got put on hold. At the beginning of this week, after Tony hand-dried an entire load of clean dishes, it got resurrected. He did some additional website research and determined that both Best Buy and Lowe's would be an option. We made a date to visit one or both of the closest locations of those stores today.

However, I was talking with a friend this morning and learned that there was a Best Buy Outlet store in the Chesterfield Valley. I pulled up the store website and found out that they carried the Bosch brand. The store didn't open until noon, but after we fed Jackson the Cat an early lunch we headed towards the area because both big box hardware stores have locations at Chesterfield Commons, which has designated itself as the longest outdoor strip mall in America.

We browsed at Lowe's, then headed down to Home Depot. Research done, we walked across Chesterfield Airport Road (the main thoroughfare) to the outlet store. Because I've always navigated the area by car, I had never noticed there was a crosswalk and walk sign, but they made the trek across the four-lane road much safer.

At the outlet store we found an upgraded Bosch model for just a little bit more than we would have paid for a model with less features across the street. The tag said it had a dent, but both Tony and I looked closely and couldn't see it. Even the sales associate couldn't point it out.

Five years ago: No Reaction Whatsoever

11 comments:

  1. That's Great! -Christine cmlk79.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. You made me go look at our dishwasher. I couldn't remember what kind it was. It's a Whirlpool. I think it's going on 25 years old. I tried to look it up. Google or YouTube don't have any info on it. But it just keeps chugging along. What model Bosch did you get if you don't mind saying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are websites that claim to be able to tell how old an appliance is by the serial number. We got different answers on each site we checked.

      Delete
  3. Sometimes, you can get lucky at outlet stores. Hope, it works good and last long time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want a dishwasher so badly. The one in this house has never worked and my brother disconnected it so it didn't shoot water all over the floor. I've just used it for storage because it too, like the stove, is a drop in and a fit would be hard to find. I hope your new one is great and everything you hoped for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if I would use a dishwasher if it was just me in the house, but as things stand I enjoy the convenience.

      Delete
  5. Our first apartment, almost 50 years ago, had GE appliances in the kitchen. We knew the builder-investor and he said he always put GE in his buildings because they were so reliable. So, for 47 years, when we've had to purchase our own appliance, we try to get GE. They are amazingly reliable, and if anything does go wrong, Terry contacts the GE appliance repair people and they send the most efficient repair people. Usually we aren't even charged for the call or repair. The repair person will say, oh I had the part in the truck, might as well use it here. One time the repair person was here just a few minutes to tweek something and said, no charge, that was so quick, I wasn't even here. I've heard really good things about Bosch, but that they are hard to get right now. Also, they are way out of our price range.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my opinion the quality of GE appliances has gone down over the years. I'm glad to hear that your experience is different.

      Delete
  6. Glad you found the dishwasher brand that you wanted and it brings you many years of clean dishes. Mrs. Shife also call our shopping trips dates as it is one of the few times we are without the kiddos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a date is anything you want it to be.

      Delete