Wednesday, May 10, 2023

Best Of Both Worlds

Spring hasn't left the area yet, but I can tell it's heading towards the door. Over the weekend we turned the air conditioner on for the first time. (Twenty four hours later the temperature outside was low enough that we turned it off and opened up the windows again.)

Hubby Tony and I have decided we like having the bedroom windows open overnight. The outside sounds are soothing to fall asleep to, and the chirping birds are invigorating when I wake up.

When we lived in our big house, opening and closing up the house was a big deal. The family room, kitchen, and master bedroom each had multiple-window bays. All of the other rooms except for the smallest bedroom had two individual windows. Consequently, once the air conditioner went on it tended to stay on.

Our apartment-style condo only has six windows. It only takes a couple of minutes to open or close all of them, so Tony and I decided that until the weather gets oppressively hot and humid we'll have the best of both worlds. When the temperature inside the house exceeds the air conditioner thermostat setting, we close up and turn on the air conditioner. When the outside temperature drops below the thermostat temperature setting, we open the windows back up.

14 comments:

  1. My son has bad allergies so the windows are seldom open. Sometimes I tell him he's going to have to suffer through it when I think the house needs a good airing out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really feel for people who can't enjoy nature because of their allergies.

      Delete
  2. I keep all windows shut, but have removed the glass panels.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our daughter who lives in the Bay Area keeps windows open year-round. Here, in the Central Valley, we seldom open windows, and certainly don't leave them open. So much dust, pollens, and stinky air keeps the windows shut.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why I love to live in a place with four distinct seasons.

      Delete
  4. It is a good time to have the windows open now. Saving energy is always good

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love sleeping with the windows open, and I do it every chance I get. Actually, that's why I didn't consider a ranch house, I would worry about security sleeping with open windows on a ground floor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The way our condo building is designed I'm glad I live on the second floor-otherwise even during the day I don't know how I'd feel about open windows.

      Delete
  6. We didn't really get a spring, until suddenly we're in summer type weather, in the 80's which could be the 90's this weekend. My neighbors probably joke about my constantly open curtains, but I don't like to feel like I'm living in a cave and I love to watch the stars at night from my bed. I can't open windows due to my cats. And its frowned on around here, as bad for safety. So am seriously jealous that you can open up your windows at night. I love it!

    ReplyDelete