Saturday, December 10, 2022

The Season Of Good Enough

About this time every year I start reading articles and blog posts about getting things perfectly ready for the end of the year holidays. That includes finding ideal presents, going to too many activities and parties, making sure everyone in the family has the right clothes for those events, and throwing healthy diet expectations out the window.

Reading the tales always reminds me of my friend Sandy's motto for this time of year... Tis the season of "good enough".

As she explains it, the slogan means to do away with the expectation that everything you do will be Hallmark and Martha Stewart perfect. Keep your expectations realistic. Figure out the things you can and cannot control, and let go of any assumptions about those things you can’t control.

I can't remember how many years ago I was gifted with a cute snowflake note holder holding round tag with the motto, but it's been displayed so many years the tag is looking a little worse for wear. But it's good enough, and I still set it out every year as a visual reminder.

Five years ago today: To Toss Or Not To Toss

16 comments:

  1. There's an EcoATM at the Fenton Walmart! I think taking something there next year will be good enough. 😁

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good enough is a great motto I say that a lot -Christine cmlk79.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. What great advice. I used to try much harder but now I'm more relaxed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if that's part of growing in wisdom as we age.

      Delete
  4. It would be hard for me to part withthat little statement tag. I like how you displayed it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Although I've never set my expectations quite that high, I can certainly benefit from keeping tha motto in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So many folks go into debt for so long to give gifts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen that happen, and think it's incredibly sad.

      Delete
  7. I usualy only decorate to make myself and my family happy and never have expectations of anything more than that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good Enough Works for me. This Year the House is in shambles compared to previous Years when we weren't 3 Generations piled together again, but, it's Good Enough, I'm getting more and more Okay with that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's a sign of maturity when someone can be satisfied with their life.

      Delete