Tuesday, December 20, 2022

Tis The Season To Be Busy

On Thursday the temperature is supposed to drop (with a prediction of close to zero degrees Fahrenheit) and snow will fall (depending on which source you check with, somewhere between one and five inches.) That's gotten everyone in a frenzy. Add that to the almost-Christmas furor and things were crazy out there today.

My first commitment was a chiropractor appointment. I left wearing my heavy winter coat, and was glad I did. The person ahead of me was having some issues. I heard the doctor diagnosing and giving advice, and his appointment ended up taking twice as long as a normal adjustment would. I always appreciate when the doctor does the same thing for me, but today the added waiting was an annoyance.

When I got home Hubby Tony and I went out to run some errands, one of which was to pick up some extra Christmas presents. This morning there was a gift bag hung on our condo door, which held a miniature loaf of banana bread and a small container of cookies from a downstairs neighbor. It seems like when one neighbor starts gifting others reciprocate, so we wanted to make sure we were ready.

We walked through several stores, debating between cookies decorated by special needs workers, chocolates, and specialty popcorn. In the end the four-pack of chocolate truffles won, and that task crossed off the list. We also popped into the office supply store and post office before starting a circuitous route back home.

Our next to last stop was at Sam's Club, where I realized I was feeling hungry and grumpy. We grabbed our items and headed toward the checkout, where the lines were long. I left Tony to pay and headed to the cafe area, where I ordered a piece of pizza for us to share. While waiting, I  chatted with the lady standing in line behind me. She was upbeat and energetic, and I felt her energy rubbing off on me.

On the way home traffic was so bad that Tony passed on his last stop, the bank. When we arrived back at the condo Jackson the Cat was waiting for his lunch, which he pointed out was being served late. I finished my own lunch and had a cup of coffee, then decided to walk up to the bank.

In preparation I moved items from my large purse to a wallet-sized one. By this time it had warmed up enough that the lightweight winter coat was all I needed. The walk was lovely. When I passed the mall exit, there were long lines of cars waiting to enter and leave. The closer I got to the major arterial road the worse the traffic got. And that road itself was gridlocked from the time I turned onto it until I reached the bank.

Inside the bank I opened up my purse and saw my drivers license and charge card. No ATM card. Fortunately, the teller was a joy to work with. She looked up my account information with a smile and at the end of the transaction sincerely told me to have a great day.

Five years ago today: Grateful

8 comments:

  1. I was reading and got to a point where I stopped in disbelief.
    "where I ordered a piece of pizza for us to share."
    Share? "A" piece? I'm confused! Was "piece of" mistakenly entered? 😳

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you seen the size of a Sam's Club slice?!? It was meant to be a snack, just to get me home (and did a good job of it).

      Delete
  2. The first thing they need at my bank is my Atm card good for you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was very aware that the teller went over and above to help me out. It was very appreciated.

      Delete
  3. All the stores, the mall, all packed yesterday. Traffic very extreme.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How wonderful that you are close enough to walk to a major retail place and have your bank there, too. As the crow flies, walking to our credit union would be doable, but I have to take surface streets instead because there is a major rail line that runs through the area and cannot be crossed by pedestrians except at an underpass completely out of my way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We knew that our condo was conveniently located, but didn't realize just how nice it was until we moved in. In addition to the large regional mall (.6 of a mile), there's a full-service grocery store across the street from it. A second full-service grocery store is a mile in the other direction, with a Walgreens across the street from it. Crossing the large arterial road will get us to an Aldi and the bank two storefronts down from it.

      Delete