Saturday, April 2, 2022

Collecting Perfect Pieces

Some people enjoy shopping for furniture by walking into a store and buying a complete coordinating set. I'm not one of them.

I'm sure you remember the story of our new loveseats, which led to the need for a square side table. Then the  Queen Anne cherry finish table on the other side didn't mesh. Several weeks later I bought a mid century modern table at an antique mall. Its color was more in line with what I wanted, but I knew that the style made it a temporary substitute.

Nice, but not right

The first night I used it, I discovered that the bottom tier of the table was too low for me to reach over to set a cup on it. I got used to using just the small upper tier, but made an effort to stop by thrift stores, antique malls, and estate sales whenever I had the time. 

Last week I was wending my way through the furniture department of a thrift store and saw something that was the right color and chunky style I was looking for. A quick measure told me that it was the right height, and close enough to the targets for width and length. When I picked it up it was heavy and obviously real wood. The store had labelled as a bookcase, but it looked like my new table to me.

'Right' table (on the left)

 The last piece of the project is a coffee table, then that section of the room will be complete.

9 comments: