Saturday, April 23, 2022

Beating The (Temporary) Heat

Just a couple of days ago the weather was wet and lightweight winter coat chilly. Then overnight it turned into premature summer. Both yesterday and today the temperature got up into the mid-80 degree Fahrenheit. The heat will be short lived. Tonight storms are forecast to come through and tomorrow it will be ten degrees cooler. 

Hubby Tony is gone this weekend, so I was the one who got to make all the house decisions. I could have turned on the air conditioner, but I was enjoying the outside sounds so much I decided to see if I could make it without artificial cooling.

Yesterday I wasn't home much. In the evening I turned on the ceiling fan in the living area, and by bedtime things had cooled off enough that using that ceiling fan on low speed made it the perfect temperature for sleeping. Today the television meteorologist said that it was going to get windier as the day went on, so I did all my outside things mid-morning. When I came home I opened up every window to get a cross breeze going. All afternoon I moved slowly, did little physical work, and drank extra liquids.

I found out that sitting on the upholstered couch was hot (unless you're Jackson the Cat). My body preferred wooden chairs.

After dinner I left the house to meet some friends. I triple verified that the forecasted rain wasn't starting until the middle of the night, then left the windows open. By the time I got back again things had cooled off. It should be another comfortable night.

Five years ago: Mid-Spring Thoughts

16 comments:

  1. I checked to make sure the heat was off. It was. My son had turned it off hours earlier but it was still very warm in the house. I opened up windows on all four sides and the house cooled down quickly.

    It was nice to have the wind when I cut the lawn in the afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you didn't have to turn the air conditioner on yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. I guess only God knows when the weather will change.

      Delete
  4. It's so nice to have the windows open again! We great a great cross breeze in our house too! It's warm today but later in the week it's getting chilly again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate weather that ping pongs up and down!

      Delete
  5. It was almost not quite 70 here. We're getting two sunny days. But the east facing window let in a lot of heat and inside the house got up to 76. This is the time of year I usually have the heat pump off and get away with it for several months. I can't open windows. The cats would be gone and others would invite themselves in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see where your four footed friends would be the highest priority. Do you not have screens on your windows?

      Delete
  6. Your kitty looks sweet! I'll take heat over cold anyday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jackson thanks you. I'm not a fan of either extreme, but if I have to pick heat is preferred.

      Delete
  7. Very nice weather, though it goes downhill from here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm optimistic that there will be two or three more weeks of pleasant temperatures before summer-like weather arrives.

      Delete
  8. Here I am on the other side of the state and it's been in the 50's all day. It's supposed to be 80 Sunday, though, and 88 Monday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always consider myself fortunate if we can make it to Memorial Day without turning on the air conditioning.

      Delete