Sunday, April 24, 2022

Slivered

Hubby Tony left Thursday morning for a retreat. Today the retreat ended with a mass, and there was a potluck luncheon afterward. Sunday is Tony's day to cook, but I went ahead and prepared a main dish salad that would be easy to pull out of the refrigerator when it was time to eat.

I made a shopping list, then went to the store and picked up ingredients that weren't already in the house. However, when I got home I realized that I had forgotten to put sliced almonds on the list. I could have turned around and gone back to the store, but decided to investigate alternate methods.

My recipe called for a half cup of sliced almonds. We had a Costco-sized bag of whole almonds in the freezer, so I decided to find out if it was possible to convert whole almonds to sliced. Turns out that following this article, it was easy.

There were just a couple of steps: 

  1. Blanching - I poured boiling water over the almonds and let them sit for five minutes.

  2. Peeling - After soaking, I drained the almonds and let them cool off a little bit. The skin was really loose, and slipped right off.

  3. Slicing - I tried to slice the almonds horizontally, but it was too much work. My slices were thick and uneven. I wasn't trying to impress anyone, so I decided to sliver them vertically.

  4. Toasting - I let the almonds dry out, then toasted the slivers in a small frying pan until they became a nice light brown color.

Preparing the almonds turned out to be the hardest part of the recipe. I mixed them in with the greens, grains, dried cranberries, vinaigrette, and feta then called dinner made.

Five years ago today: My Friend The Frog

14 comments:

  1. Yay! That sounds great! I think I have Costco sized walnuts in the freezer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Yes! And I saved gas and auto emissions on this Earth Day weekend.

      Delete
  3. My invitation must have gotten lost in the mail.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've blanched almonds a few times and like the way the skin just slips off so easily. For some reason, its entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Removing the skins was very meditative.

      Delete
  5. I imagine the women on the prairies who had to make do. We certainly know how to improvise and find a way. Salad sound delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds really good! I don't know if I would have gone through the trouble to sliver the almonds but it's good to know how to do it if I ever wanted to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A nice side benefit of soaking to remove the skins was that the nuts were much easier to cut up.

      Delete