Tuesday, December 21, 2021

The Shortest Day Of The Year

Today is the Winter Solstice, the shortest day of year and the official first day of winter. It was still completely dark when I rolled out of bed this morning, and dark again long before dinner. (Not everything about the day was winter-like though. It started out heavy winter coat chilly, but by lunchtime the lightweight winter coat was just enough.)

In honor of the solstice, today I spent some time today searching the internet for what other cultures do to celebrate. I learned about the ancient Deer Mother, who in many cultures flew through the air on the Winter Solstice. In case you're also unfamiliar with her, this video does a good job of explaining.

 


15 comments:

  1. I think you would look good with some antlers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that the days get longer from here on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Already am noticing the days getting, a tiny bit, longer. Yaay! Soon i'll be able to drive to and from the busstop, and there will be atleast some daylight.

      Delete
    2. Sue, I noticed the same thing. How exciting!

      Delete
  3. Very interesting. Thanx Kathy.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing this with us. I had never heard of the deer mother of winter and just now before commenting, I googled even more information. I enjoy learning about ancient cultural beliefs like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love how we can learn from each other in Blogland.

      Delete
  5. I love that we live in the age of the internet, when all this fun and fascinating information is there at our fingertips.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing this lovely video!
    Yes, it's always the female, not the male, who's strong, capable and willing to care for others.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't know about the deer mother and why so many celtic and nordic designs of old featured antlers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. When we lived on the mainland, we liked when the days got longer. Here in Hawaii, I like the shorter days so I can sleep longer.

    ReplyDelete