Tuesday, December 14, 2021

Cranberry Jello

A couple of weeks ago I told you about updating a family classic Thanksgiving recipe because of some nut allergy reactions. Kay over at Musings requested the recipe. Between traveling and general holiday business it's taken me too long to fulfill her request, but here it is.

This recipe is very forgiving. Over the years the can size of cranberry sauce has shrunk a bit, but I just roll with the lesser amount. Oddly, the standard can size of crushed pineapple has increased, but I just scoop out the extra. Any type of nuts works. I usually use lite cream cheese to avoid a few calories. Dream Whip can be hard to find, but it's usually shelved in the baking aisle close to the Jello.

We serve the dish as a part of the meal, but some people in the family have been known to eat it as a dessert.

CRANBERRY JELLO (makes a 13x9 pan)

2 small or 1 large box red Jello
2 cups boiling water
2 (15-16 ounce) cans jellied cranberry sauce
2 (15-16 ounce) cans crushed pineapple, well drained
1/2 cup chopped nuts
2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese
2 packages Dream Whip, prepared according to package directions
2 cups miniature marshmallows

Dissolve Jello in water in 13x9 pan. Add cranberry sauce and stir until dissolved. Add crushed pineapple and nuts. Refrigerate until firm

Beat cream cheese until soft. Add Dream Whip and marshmallows. Spread mixture on top of Jello. Refrigerate at least 2 hours.

 Five years ago: Good Hair Day

6 comments:

  1. Sounds very familiar... my Mother-in-law was known for her Jello at all and every occasion!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think most of the women in the generation ahead of us knew their way around a box of Jello

      Delete
  2. My mother-in-law is the jello fanatic in our family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You just proved my statement in my response to Bettina above. One generation ahead of us....

      Delete